Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sordid  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:48:30 PM(UTC)
Sordid

Hi, new user here. Firstly I'd like to say that I've been looking for a time-tracking app for some time and ManicTime is the best one I've found so far. But! I only really need it to track one application and it happens to be the application it doesn't work properly with, Photoshop. See, I really like that MT can track which documents I'm working with, that's really neat and helpful. The problem is that Photoshop changes the name of the document every time you change the active layer, every time you zoom in or out, every time you save, and every time you change color mode. The result is this:

UserPostedImage

And that's just a small part of the gigantic list that eight hours of working with that file has generated. Clearly, that's not helpful. Is there a way to make MT recognize PS documents properly and if not, is there an alternative to MT that can?

Edited by user Tuesday, April 16, 2013 5:51:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:09:36 AM(UTC)
admin

Try this, maybe it will help.

Right click MT icon, choose Exit.

Copy the attached file to
Program files x86/manictime/plugins

It should overwrite an existing file. Restart MT. Form now on document should show up in documents timeline.

Does this help?
File Attachment(s):
CustomTitle.txt (5kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Sordid  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 6:18:57 PM(UTC)
Sordid

Thank you for your reply, but that's not really what I had in mind. I didn't really explain clearly, I'm sorry. I don't care about the timelines. In fact I'd turn most of ManicTime's features off if I could. I just need to know how long I've been working on a particular file in Photoshop. I just want the program to give me a single number.

Instead of this...

UserPostedImage

...I'd like this:

UserPostedImage

I didn't even know this CustomTitle.txt file existed. By the looks of it it's supposed to do exactly what I want, that being filter out the actual file name from the window title. The one you posted doesn't seem to do that and I've been unable to achieve the desired result by tinkering with it myself. I'd be much obliged if you could help me with that.

On a related note, I can't find a way to make ManicTime tell me how long I've been working on a particular document across multiple days. The Day tab only shows statistics for a single day and I can't really make heads or tails of the Statistics tab. Is there a way of doing that?

Sorry for being so clueless.
admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:12:25 PM(UTC)
admin

Based on the titles you posted I think it should work. You should see it on Documents timeline, not on Apps timeline. If you do, then in statistics it will again be under documents not timelines.

You can also see what you want by just using filter at the bottom. On the same view you posted, in the filter type "Ep 24.psd" (with parenthesis, so instead of the group=...) This should filter for just this file. On the right side, where photoshop is displayed, this is a sum of the filtered results, so when you filter, the right side should show you exactly the time you spent on this document.

If you use the pro/trial version, there will be two links on the right side of the filter, Advanced search and Add to autotag.
Adv. search will give you a sum over multiple days.
Or you can add the filter to autotag, then just generate a timesheet over autotags.

Edited by user Friday, April 19, 2013 8:14:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sordid  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 12:15:06 AM(UTC)
Sordid

Thank you very much for your help. I still think this program is way too complicated for my needs, but I can't find anything else like it and now at least I'll be able to get the information I actually need.

Edited by user Saturday, April 20, 2013 12:24:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified