Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jack  
#21 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2014 2:56:23 PM(UTC)
jack

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with the v2 theme either. I don't think the v3 looks better, just different (it does look new, which has its own appeal).

I know as a creator it can be tempting to change things, to try to improve, but changing for change's sake will anger/confuse a certain percentage of users, while the rest won't really notice.

This happens a lot to me on both front and back end development: wanting to use a new library or framework, and having to resist and tell myself (or have my boss tell me) not to, unless there is a tangible benefit. Pretty is great, and certainly can have a positive psychological benefit, but you just have to be careful not to anger current users in a bid to attract new ones.

I'd say a theme editor is fine, but like jxt said, maybe better would be just to use the same white space as in v2, unless people were complaining that things seemed too cramped, which doesn't appear to be the case.

The UI changes in v3 are great (pausing stopwatch, new tag window, multi-away, etc.), but the new design seems superfluous. It's not that it's bad, just that it's not really an improvement over v2 design. Different, sure, and more trendy, but not better.

As far as unification. Why? What benefits does a unified website/program have? Are the usecases the same? What's wrong with having it all blue? A program isn't a website/magazine/painting and making it look like one at the expense of usability seems foolhardy (though I doubt in this case it introduced any bugs), especially when it requires changing something that already exists.

I know there can be pressure to change or have new things, but look at programs that seem to keep getting more and more popular like sublime text or scrivener or acrobat: their UIs have improved over time but the designs have stayed more or less the same. Compare with the fallout from office, new osx/ios, metro, etc. Change is risky, and doing it simply for "pretty" is both ballsy and reckless.
jmsalk  
#22 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2014 12:37:34 AM(UTC)
jmsalk

Originally Posted by: jack Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with the v2 theme either. I don't think the v3 looks better, just different (it does look new, which has its own appeal).

I know as a creator it can be tempting to change things, to try to improve, but changing for change's sake will anger/confuse a certain percentage of users, while the rest won't really notice.

I'd say a theme editor is fine, but like jxt said, maybe better would be just to use the same white space as in v2, unless people were complaining that things seemed too cramped, which doesn't appear to be the case.

The UI changes in v3 are great (pausing stopwatch, new tag window, multi-away, etc.), but the new design seems superfluous. It's not that it's bad, just that it's not really an improvement over v2 design. Different, sure, and more trendy, but not better.

+1 to everything Jack and jxt said in the previous 2 posts, particularly about reducing the margins.

I hope that (margin reduction) includes reducing the minimum space between the stopwatch and the Day start/end & Duration area as I like to shrink down the window, displaying only the stopwatch and Day End (i.e., current time), and move the window to the bottom corner of my screen, but with the extra padding between the stopwatch and the section to the right vs. v.2, it now takes up too much space.
admin  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:32:35 PM(UTC)
admin

v3.0.0.7, click on version info in bottom right corner if you don't get the notification.

Thoughts?
ondrej  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:13:52 PM(UTC)
ondrej

Man
Czech Republic

I read all posts regarding UI in this thread and it seems that lot of people have same opinion as me.

So, is there any chance that UI in 3.x will look like in 2.x or not?

If not, I will probably switch back to latest 2.x despite of very useful new 3.x features. I just can't stand that flat, monochromatic monstrosity invented in Microsoft and forced to all their products, while other companies immediately started to immitate them because they think its cool and modern without even considering what users want. Thats big mistake that leads to bad end.
CKuhlmann  
#25 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 4:50:14 PM(UTC)
CKuhlmann

As the one who started the discussion about margins I'd like to say that I prefer the 3.0.0.7 version. I'll admit that it now looks a bit more functional, but the user experience is a lot better (at least for me).
Especially with many timelines or parallel tags within timelines, it is a lot faster to use. And that's what ManicTime is all about: Efficient time management.

As for the looks: I needed some time to get used to the flat timelines, but now I'm quite happy with them. Personally, I like the new colors. With custom themes (I don't think an editor is required, just use some open format) being on their way, I think people who like the old colors better will soon be able to use a 'classic' theme.

Thanks, for listening to our feedback and keep up the great work.
AncientWisdom  
#26 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 3:28:37 PM(UTC)
AncientWisdom

Australia

I'd also like to chime in and say I like the new version including the looks. If nothing else, it is fresh and yeah looks more modern (even if only because MS pushed it down our throats that this is what modern looks like - it still works ;-) ). As said above if problems can be solved easily with a theme later, that's great.

Also wanted to say that I'll probably buy v3 no matter what since ManicTime is so important to my time management and workflow, taking the burden off something that is really quite annoying usually, and doing what it does so well. The version does bring solid improvements to the table and even though I can probably keep using v2 happily I would like to support the development of this tool. BTW - is there such a thing as a lifetime upgrade license?
AncientWisdom  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:12:25 AM(UTC)
AncientWisdom

Australia

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
The trial should work, it is reset with every version...

Does this include the portable version? I just tried upgrading to v3.0.0.7 but it says my trial has expired.

admin  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:31:55 AM(UTC)
admin

I should be more specific sorry, what we call versions are

With these trial is reset.

With more specific, trial is not reset, for example 3.0.0.2, 3.0.0.3, 3.0.4 ...
AncientWisdom  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:08:43 AM(UTC)
AncientWisdom

Australia

Thanks. Does this mean we can't continue using/testing the beta without purchasing a license?
admin  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2014 10:12:28 AM(UTC)
admin

You can continue using with a free license...
There will be a new beta in a week or so, 3.1, you can use it then.
As for 3.0 you can only use it with free license.
AncientWisdom  
#31 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:07:07 AM(UTC)
AncientWisdom

Australia

OK Thanks.
2 Pages<12