Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
admin  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:45:50 PM(UTC)
admin

If anybody wants to help us test the new version, you can find it here.
http://www.manictime.com...rt/Releases/Version_v3_0

To install, download the exe and run, it will update your current installation.

Please let us know if you find any bugs or if you have any suggestions on how to make it better.
jxt  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:08:31 AM(UTC)
jxt

Very cool! Super, super, super! :) ManicTime is very useful so please keep going with the development!
CKuhlmann  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:24:15 PM(UTC)
CKuhlmann

Nice work, I already like the new Add Tag window.

I noticed that the new version needs considerably more vertical space to display the timeline at the same size as v2. Maybe it would be good to reduce some padding, e.g. above and below the timeline. With displays having ratios like 16:10 there's much more horizontal than vertical space available.

It would also be nice if custom themes could be added/modified using some open file format like ini or xml files. With my windows theme there is no difference between hovered and selected items in ManicTime.
admin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:40:46 PM(UTC)
admin

You are correct about the vertical space.
I prefer more space, its not as crammed as it used to be, but I do understand you position. I included a comparison with the old UI and the new one as well as what it would look like with smaller margin.

If it turns out as better to most of you we will change it.

We can make themes open source, but it will have to wait till the next version.
admin attached the following image(s):
current margin.png (48kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
smaller margin.png (52kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
smaller comparison.png (135kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
current comparison.png (79kb) downloaded 17 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:46:14 PM(UTC)
admin

About mouse over and selected in Windows theme. We used the same color, we could not find one for mouse over defined in Windows and we wanted to use just those defined on Windows. I'll take another look.
Crashthatch  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:53:12 PM(UTC)
Crashthatch

United Kingdom

Not sure if this is the right place for bug reports, but I found a (very minor) bug- hardly worth reporting, but noticeable.

I get "white lines" 1px wide in the timelines at the edge of a time-block. It looks like nothing was recorded for that time, but they move around / appear & disappear as I zoom in. My guess is it's a rounding error or similar which makes one block end slightly before the next block begins, meaning they are drawn with a small gap between them. See screenshots- 2 white lines are present between 12:30 and 13:15 in the first, but disappear when I zoom in on that section (screenshot 2).

https://www.dropbox.com/...time-smallwhitelines.png
https://www.dropbox.com/...d-in-whitelines-gone.png

On v3.0.0.3.

Obviously not a killer bug- just thought I should report it. Been using v3 for a week- no other problems found- everything else seems to work as well as it did in 2.x.

Edited by user Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:56:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2014 9:32:20 PM(UTC)
admin

Sure, please post them here.

I'm surprised no one has reported this one until now. We had this one for ages now, probably from before v2 and it really bugs me. We tried to fix it a few times but we were never successful.

We'll give it another shot when we have some spare time...
CKuhlmann  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 6:33:16 AM(UTC)
CKuhlmann

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
You are correct about the vertical space.
I prefer more space, its not as crammed as it used to be, but I do understand you position. I included a comparison with the old UI and the new one as well as what it would look like with smaller margin.

If it turns out as better to most of you we will change it.

We can make themes open source, but it will have to wait till the next version.

I agree with you that too little space can look weird. However I think that the timeline is the most important UI element of ManicTime. More vertical space makes working with it faster because it's easier to grab the timeslots.

About the themes: Custom themes are nice to have but the default theme or the windows theme should work for almost everyone. Considering the hover color I would suggest to use transparency to distinguish between hovered and selected entries. This should work for positive and negative contrast themes.
admin  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 10:26:15 AM(UTC)
admin

Agreed. We did exactly that for windows theme. Will be in next update.
AncientWisdom  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 9:47:55 AM(UTC)
AncientWisdom

Australia

What happens if we want to downgrade back to v2? Any issues with that at all?

Also found a very minor bug - on the release page it seems the sizes of the files are copied from the v2 part... Maybe some other not so obvious things have been copied and left unchanged?
AncientWisdom  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 9:58:40 AM(UTC)
AncientWisdom

Australia

On first run of the portable v3 beta I get the attached error.

Also is there a way for me to test v3 using my v2 Pro license? At the moment it tells me my license has expired...
File Attachment(s):
ManicTime Error.txt (13kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 10:11:28 AM(UTC)
admin

Did it start working?

The trial should work, it is reset with every version...
AncientWisdom  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 10:20:01 AM(UTC)
AncientWisdom

Australia

No, I can't get it to work..

I'm not even sure what's the difference but now it won't let me interact with ManicTime while the error is open (the first run I was still presented with the licensing form). Closing the error closes the app.
admin  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 10:20:46 AM(UTC)
admin

If you want to downgrade:
1. In v3, go to Statistics and delete Attendance statistic. So down button next to Attendance, Close... Make sure there are no Attendance statistics tabs.
2. After that the same database should work in v2.5.

Edited by user Monday, September 1, 2014 1:19:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 1:17:04 PM(UTC)
admin

The problem is with Windows security. Right click on the zip file which you downloaded from our site -> Properties, then click Unblock button. Then extract the files again and it should work.

We will see if we can get around this...

Edited by user Monday, September 1, 2014 1:19:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AncientWisdom  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2014 2:30:44 AM(UTC)
AncientWisdom

Australia

Thanks! That works.
jack  
#17 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2014 10:19:53 AM(UTC)
jack

Originally Posted by: CKuhlmann Go to Quoted Post
Nice work, I already like the new Add Tag window.

I noticed that the new version needs considerably more vertical space to display the timeline at the same size as v2. Maybe it would be good to reduce some padding, e.g. above and below the timeline. With displays having ratios like 16:10 there's much more horizontal than vertical space available.

It would also be nice if custom themes could be added/modified using some open file format like ini or xml files. With my windows theme there is no difference between hovered and selected items in ManicTime.

I agree. As a programmer this is something I deal with. I make a prototype, then am told to make it "modern", so I--currently anyway--make it flat and add white space. Then they complain that it takes up too much space. I can't win.

The optimal amount of white space for aesthetics is not necessarily the optimal amount for productivity.

Also, please don't increase the white space in the bottom part, between tags/usage/apps/docs. This serves no purpose but to make the interface "pretty" and reduce the amount of data displayed and thereby increase the amount of scrolling needed. I'd love to upgrade to v3 for all the awesome new features (multi-away seems super useful), but won't if the new UI takes more space to display less information.

I'm not sure what framework you're using, so I don't know how easy/hard this would be, but maybe add an advanced option that controls whitespace? Not everyone is going to feel the same about the optimal amount

(Maybe this is already there with themes? If so, it would be nice to have a v2 theme: whenever a UI changes, people's habits have to change with it. Look how many people stuck with pre-ribbon office versions. Knowing they can use the old UI would provide comfort to those who were weary about the new UI and prompt them to upgrade for the new features, knowing they could always use the old UI if they wanted.)

I think the logo could be reverted to its v2 size as well: we've already bought the software, we don't need to be reminded of who made it, especially when it takes up so much screen space. I know it's tempting to put an awesome logo wherever we can, but end-users don't give a crap (unless it's animated)

This is coming from someone, by the way, who uses a 30" 2560x1600 monitor at Windows 100% (default) text size
jack  
#18 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2014 10:30:14 AM(UTC)
jack

I just realized there's a free version of ManicTime. But I still think my point about the logo stands. The lack of an away window is a good prompt to upgrade
admin  
#19 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2014 12:53:50 PM(UTC)
admin

I'll start by saying that this is the first time we had a designer and we mostly used his suggestions. I think it looks good, but I guess looks are always subjective.

Secondly, we will release v3 as it is (I mean without UI changes). Its quite stable and since there are a bunch of changes we don't want to test everything one more time.

Third, we will create v3.1 quickly (in a month or two). In it, we can make vertical margins smaller, or we can add another theme with smaller margins and keep current themes intact. We'd like to hear some more opinions before we decide. If most of you are in favor of smaller margins then we will edit all the current themes.
We could also create a theme editor and you could create your own theme. If anybody is interested in this let us know.

And about the logo. I think it is there mostly to add some color, otherwise it is all blue. The other reason we added it is that the server UI is similar. And the new website design as well (probably will be up this week). We can easily remove it, it is just a design element, to make it look better and to unify all designs.
jxt  
#20 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2014 1:05:16 PM(UTC)
jxt

Sometimes designers make useless things... probably beautiful but useless.
I'm voting for smaller margins, too.
Don't waste a time to create theme editor... most users just want to start the application and to use it and they don't have time to use theme editors. Just creat a useful and suitable theme.
Just a note - nobody said anything against the previous theme... so it was OK. Just improve it, don't make general changes.
2 Pages12>