Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boa13  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2010 3:46:28 PM(UTC)
boa13

Man

Hello,

As mentioned in my previous topic, I spend a lot of time working with the activities list in the lower-left pane, often from the Applications and Computer Usage timelines. It would be great to have a better context menu once a selection is made there. Currently, the only options are to copy one name or copy all selected data from the pane.

So, after I make a selection, I have to move the mouse all the way to the top of the screen, most often to click on the downwards gray arrow in the new selection that appeared in the Tags timeline, selecting either "Add tags..." or "Zoom on selection". Can we have those options in the context menu of the lower-left pane?

Also, provided the items we selected in that pane fully match the start and end time of a tag in the Tags timeline, can we have the options to Modify and Delete the tag?

Both additions would be huge time savers to me. (I find I currently spend about an hour per day on ManicTime, I think that could be significantly reduced with those additions.)

As an aside, or an addition, why do we have to select the checkboxes before we can act on the items we have highlighted with the mouse, using shift-click and control-click if necessary? I understand the added value of the checkboxes, in that they help us build a "selection" in several steps before acting on it, but for power users that know how to do complicated highlights, or for quick fixes, the ability to simply select a few lines, right-click and have appropriate context-menu entries (add tags, edit tag, remove tag) would be a huge bonus.
admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 11:35:26 AM(UTC)
admin

I'll write a bit why it works the way it works.

Short answer, mostly for consistency.

And a bit longer answer
If we look at the timelines, if you click on one rectangle you selected one item and listview below also reflects this. So selecting one item in listview is the same as one in timelines.
Since we used up single selection we could not use it again for selection, so this is why there are checkboxes. Well this and that it is a lot easier for a lot of people to use those instead of Shift or Ctrl click.

So now if you look to context menus, there is nowhere in the listview you can click to get a context menu for selection. I guess the only thing we can do is add it to the item context menu if the selection is made, so it would be like:
Copy
Open
Add tag
Recent tags...
Zoom to selection

Basically the tag arrow menu appended to the item menu in the listview when the selection is made.
We can do this, but its going to become one long Word like menu :)
boa13  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:52:07 PM(UTC)
boa13

Man

I understand the need for consistency, I'm okay with that part not changing, and the risk of confusing users.

As for the context menu, there's indeed a risk of it growing excessively, but it would still be much better than the very small stub we currently have. If there were votes to be cast, I'd vote for that!