Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Killer47x  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 8:36:42 AM(UTC)
Killer47x

Hi,

I am doing a POC, i want to know how do you set it up for multiple users,

I see you are suggesting a "ManicTimeServerUser" as an example for SQL authentication

1. Is it needed when doing multiple users?

and I am also trying out the ManicTimeSettings.xml deployment file, so my next question is

2. When the program is installed with the deployment file, do i need to manually startup the program so that the the logged in user is created on the MT Server or is there another way i can add the users manually on the server?
admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 9:11:36 AM(UTC)
admin

ManicTimeServerUser has no relation to windows users. It is a user which server uses to connect to the database. This can either be a specific Sql user which we recommend or it can be currently logged user, which is some system account under which services run.

When a user connects to the server, ManicTime will look into local windows users or Active directory. Lets say you have the server running at home and you want to connect to the server from your work.
When you connect, you can not just use currently logged in user since your work user doesn't exist on you home network. So you would use the account which you use to log in to your computer at home.

ManicTime server is not a good choice if you have an open server on which you want to add users who are not part of that domain. In this case you would have to create windows user for each of those users.

So to answer the second question, users should already exist in windows, ManicTime Server will only verify them, it will not create them. Users will connect with the username which they have to log in to windows.

Does that makes sense?
Killer47x  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 9:44:07 AM(UTC)
Killer47x

It does make sense,

can you tell me i am also using a password, but i do not want to give out the password, so a user will not be able to open "Manic Time" will is till register the user on the server or do i need to give special permissions somewhere?
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 9:48:50 AM(UTC)
admin

This is a bit confusing, password again has no relation to the server. It is just a pass which you must know to open ManicTime locally. It is not used by server at all.

For example, if you set a password, users will not be able to open ManicTime locally, but they will be able to visit the server with a browser and view the data there, because server will use their windows login to authenticate them.
admin  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 9:50:46 AM(UTC)
admin

You can think of ManicTime server as a server which doesn't have users. Whenever it needs to authenticate a user it just asks Windows, this is what I got, can you authenticate this user? Then Windows checks its users and replies with yes or no.
admin  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 9:54:08 AM(UTC)
admin

One more thing to add. By default a user will only see his/her own data when it visits the server.
You can put the user in role Content admin (sees all data, but can't configure the server) or Admin which can do anything.
Killer47x  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 16, 2013 10:26:07 AM(UTC)
Killer47x

Thanks for the Info.