Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CaptTrips  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 8:41:16 PM(UTC)
CaptTrips

Is there any way to control, via plugin or otherwise, the "Title" attribute that is logged. I'm fine with writing a plugin - I was playing with that this morning. Without documentation, I was having trouble figuring out what else I could do, other than what the example plugins were doing.

What I am trying to accomplish is controlling what is logged from the browser title bar when Firefox is in Private mode. I can capture the title bar text, change it, and control the "Document" timeline information, but that apparently doesn't apply to the Title field in the details. Or I'm missing something...

Example of what I mean by Title:
Screenshot

FYI, the plugin architecture is slick...I'd love to see more!

Edited by user Friday, September 6, 2013 8:45:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: fixed image

admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 10:26:02 PM(UTC)
admin

No, there are no plugins for the Apps timeline. It was never requested until now.

Could you give me an example of what you are trying to achieve, maybe we can add it in the future.
CaptTrips  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 10:48:55 PM(UTC)
CaptTrips

For example, I'd like to check the Title string from Firefox, and if it contains "Private Browsing", then don't store the actual Title which contains the URL. Instead store "Private URL" or something like that.

Example of Firefox WindowTitle when running in private mode:

9/6/2013 4:34:38 PM -05:00 Title:'Yahoo! - Mozilla Firefox (Private Browsing)' ProcessName:'firefox'

This would allow a user to track their activities, but still honor the privacy of private browsing.

Honestly if there were hooks in the API for filtering and controlling exactly what was logged for all of the application/document/activity info, that would be awesome.

admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 11:01:17 PM(UTC)
admin

We are currently working on a new tracker, we will definitely add support for excluding apps or sites from tracking.

Would it be ok if this was excluded by some filter, so it is never even tracked, or is it better that it writes something else instead. I imagine the first option will be supported, for the second one we would need to add some API like you mentioned.

Actually a few users already complained about private mode tracking, so it would be nice if we solved it somehow.
CaptTrips  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 11:37:25 PM(UTC)
CaptTrips

I think that I would like to know that the browser was being used, but just not the specifics of what sites being logged. Perfect solution would probably be configuration to allow a user to choose:

1. Fully log everything including private browsing & URL
2. Do not log private browsing at all
3. Log private browsing, but do not track URL's visited

Having the specific text replacement (writing something else instead) is probably not necessary, if the URL is redacted for private browsing. But I would still love to have API objects to manipulate things if needed. Then we can really make it track/not track whatever we want. Do that and leave it to the user community to create custom plugins for specific behaviors that they want to see.

Thanks for the quick response to this thread btw. I love to see devs who like to work with people in the community on new ideas!