Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SteveCop  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 1:38:27 PM(UTC)
SteveCop

Similar to other users, I am experiencing problems with time tracking but mine is a failure to start on random days. Typically MT gets a brief entry created as the day starts then nothing is recorded until I happen to notice it it not working. Sometimes it works reliably for days on end and then stops for no apparent reason. When I check running processes on the machine the tracking component is there and is registered with memory and PageFile usage but when watched for a time nothing changes and I assume the component is hanging. Occasionally restarting the tracker appears to bump things into life but usually I have to close the shole app down and start all over again, tracker and client. I have another strange issue in that I cannot seem to tick "Start when Windows starts" in the options dialogue - well I can but it is unticked again when I go back in a little while later. However, the app does seem to start regardless of this option!

I had this problem increasingly a month ago then uninstalled and reinstalled the app totally. It seemed to be more reliable after that but not for too long and is once again becoming more troublesome. If it is any help, I am using Windows 7 pro.
admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 30, 2010 3:34:20 PM(UTC)
admin

Download this file.
www.manictime.com/setup/v1_3_1_2/processinfo.zip

Copy all the files to Program files/ManicTime/

Next time when the app hangs run ProcessInfo (x86 for 32bit, x64 for 64 bit OS). It will show a list of apps running, double click on ManicTime.exe, this should show all the threads and where they are. Could you send the output to me.

We use registry for starting the app at windows start. You can check the key with regedit.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ManicTime

This is most likely a stupid idea, but is it possible you are running two different versions of ManicTime? Check the key in registry, is it pointing to the same location as the shortcut you use for starting it by hand?
SteveCop  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2010 1:48:11 PM(UTC)
SteveCop

Sorry to have been a while coming back but it has been working until this morning but has once again hung. The output from ProcessInfo is attached.

I checked there is only one instance of Manic Time on my machine so there is no conflict.

I have some strange results concerning the registry entry though!

There was no key present and the program would not allow me to tick Start with Windows (SWW).

I closed MT and tried to add a ManicTime key to the registry but Regedit kept telling me the key was corrupt. Wondering why, I added a key called randomly "TEST" and it DID allow that with the appropriate ManicTime data. I then renamed it ManicTime and everything was OK. Strange!

I then started MT and found the SWW option again unticked then back into Regedit and found my key was once again deleted.

Gave up on this experiment but this morning, with MT hung, I see that the SWW option IS ticked (I did not do it) and the registry key IS there but I did not create it. Sorry - can't offer an explanation for these curious activities. Maybe there is a clue in the ProcessInfo
File Attachment(s):
ProcessInfoOutput.txt (44kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2010 9:12:17 PM(UTC)
admin

Could you also send me log files. Seems like there could be something helpful in there. Logs are in folder:
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Finkit\ManicTime\
Vista or Win7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ Finkit\ManicTime\

Files ManicTime.log and ManicTimeClient.log.
SteveCop  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2010 11:31:27 PM(UTC)
SteveCop

I keep my data in a different location and the log files are there too. The attached are the current files (and I have renamed them to .txt to overcome the upload limitation)

Edited by user Tuesday, September 7, 2010 11:35:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
ManicTimeClient.txt (192kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
ManicTime.txt (2,374kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

admin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2010 4:28:33 PM(UTC)
admin

For now we just added some more logging. When it happens again, please send me log files, and if you can the output from ProcessInfo.

Overwrite files wherever you have them.

About registry
One other user had similar problems with the registry. I think in his case some antivirus app was blocking keys added to Run folder. Check if you have something like that installed.
File Attachment(s):
MT-Steve_1.zip (1,647kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

SteveCop  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2010 6:53:05 PM(UTC)
SteveCop

Thanks very much - have installed the files and will be in touch next time the problem occurs.

I wondered if the Registry might be sue to AV - I use ESET. However, it seemed to be blocking me creating a key called ManicTime but let me create one called something else which seems a bit strange! Sorting out the lock up is more important to me though!

SteveCop  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:32:24 AM(UTC)
SteveCop

The latest hang has just occurred and therefore I attach the Process Info output file together with the two log files and hope they will assist. A little further information which may or may not be helpful: when the program is hung, the system resources are CPU 0% activity, RAM 46MB, unchanging, Pagefile 543MB, Unchanging. If I stop and restart the ManicTime.exe process then recording becomes active again and system resources are CPU constant low level activity (say 1%), RAM roughly the same as before - 37MB but constantly changing slightly and the significant difference PageFile 42MB constantly changing slightly. I have previously seen the PageFile usage for the process over 500MB when the process is frozen which is incredibly high. Does this help at all?

Edited by user Saturday, September 11, 2010 7:03:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
ProcessInfo 110910.txt (44kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
ManicTime.txt (2,381kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
ManicTimeClient.txt (200kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

admin  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2010 3:00:47 PM(UTC)
admin

Thanks. This definitely helps.

It looks like scheduled backup hangs. While backing up, it locks the database and then never releases the lock. I have added extensive logging around backup, so could you please copy all attached files to Program files/ManicTime/ and restart ManicTime.

Could you also try running backup manually (Tools and settings -> Backup now) and see if it also hangs.

When it hangs, please send log files again.
File Attachment(s):
ManicTime.ZIP (1,662kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

SteveCop  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:44:08 AM(UTC)
SteveCop

Many thanks for your continued help and support! I just tried a manual backup but it all ran OK on this occasion. I'll try over the next few days unless it hangs of its own accord and will be in touch as soon as I have some results for you
SteveCop  
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 3, 2010 2:17:06 PM(UTC)
SteveCop

HI

Me again, I am afraid!! It has been a lot better since your latest version and I have not noticed any hangs until today (actually there have been two more that I missed but that is a lot better than it was previously).

I am now attaching both of today's process info files (Main is the underlying process, client speaks for itself). Hope these help.
File Attachment(s):
ProcessInfo_Client 031010.zip (1kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
ProcessInfo_Main 031010.zip (7kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

admin  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2010 11:33:38 AM(UTC)
admin

Hi,

Could you also send us the logs please.
SteveCop  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:46:57 AM(UTC)
SteveCop

My apologies - they are attached
File Attachment(s):
ManicTimeClient.txt (220kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
ManicTime.txt (2,491kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

admin  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:39:33 PM(UTC)
admin

Thanks for the logs.

There is a new version on the site, v1.4.3. We tried to fix the issue you are having, so could you install it and see if it works now. Just download and run setup, it will upgrade the database.

I think it should work correctly now, but based on the last logs you sent there is still a possibility it could stop working. If you will have any more problems let me know.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:40:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SteveCop  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:50:26 PM(UTC)
SteveCop

My very sincere thanks for all of your time and support over this issue. I have installed the update and will know in a couple of weeks if everything is all in order, or earlier if anything untoward happens! I have made a note to report back one way or another in a couple of weeks.
admin  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2010 10:08:36 AM(UTC)
admin

It is me who should be thanking you for the patience and help. Let me know how it goes.
SteveCop  
#17 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 3:07:15 PM(UTC)
SteveCop

Hi

I am delighted to report back that Manic Time has been working 100% reliably ever since installing the update on 8 October so you definitely fixed the start up problem. I downloaded the latest update as well a couple of days ago and all is well there too!

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to fix this - it is excellent to have such support for this fine product!