Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sequoya_Tom  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:47:02 PM(UTC)
Sequoya_Tom

Is there documentation available for writing DLL plugins? I found the docs for creating parsing rules in CustomTitle but I want to explore ways to collect document info from an app that does not put that in its title bar.

Can we write our own DLL plugins?

Thanks,
Tom
admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:59:54 PM(UTC)
admin

There is a sample project located here: http://cdn.manictime.com...anicTimePluginTester.zip

It contains sample plugins for notepad, outlook and zplayer.
davidem  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:31:45 PM(UTC)
davidem

I notice that the DocumentInfo object keeps separate values for DocumentDisplayName and DocumentGroupName. In the plugin for OneNote you happen to have set them both to the same value. How are each of these values used in the UI? In terms of their use, what disinguishes them?

I'm assuming that DocumentGroupName is the one exposed in the aggregation pane of the Day view. I'm guessing this because when I apply a filter from one of those values in the aggregation area, the filter says "group=<>". Where, then, is DocumentDisplayName used?

If I happen to rename "all instance of <>" from the Document timeline, which value is being modified, the DisplayName or the GroupName (as stored in the database)? Would there be any be any way to connect that back to new captures by the plugin (if it still captures by the old values)?

admin  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:38:17 AM(UTC)
admin

You can think of DocumentGroupName as the group key by which ManicTime identifies a group. DocumentDisplayName is the one displayed in the summary pane. Plugins usually assign the same value to both properties.

When you rename a group, it renames DocumentDisplayName. DocumentGroupName cannot be changed. If a plugin captures the same group (identified by DocumentGroupName) with old name (before rename), the renamed value is used (DocumentDisplayName captured by the plugin is ignored).

I hope this helps.

davidem  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:01:33 PM(UTC)
davidem

It does, thanks.

One wrinkle:

if the DocumentGroupDisplayName is changed via the plugin (rather than the UI), but keeps the DocumentGroupName the same, which DisplayName takes precendence in the UI? The earlier values captured, or the new?
admin  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 8:17:04 AM(UTC)
admin

The earlier value is always used. Display name is only used for the first time, when a group with a new key is detected and created in the database. When plugin reports a new display name for existing group, it is ignored.