Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jxt  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2012 2:48:43 PM(UTC)
jxt

Hi,
I've played with MT Server for 2 days and there are some suggestions from me:

1. Allow the Admin to delete timelines created/shared by other users. There is a link "delete" in "timelines shared to me" page but when I click it the url is http://localhost:8080/AllTimelines/DeleteTimeline?timelineId=32 and I receive error "Method not allowed."

2. Change the way of the user management. Plese don't use Windows' users. MT Server should have its own user management system. Currently I have to add a user in Windows if I want to connect other PC to the MT Server. I've added one user and now I have another user at my logon screen! And what about the security? This new user is probably allowed to connect to my PC via local network or to start Remote desktop connection, to get my shared files... And what should I do if I want to connect 100 different users to MT Server? Should I create 100 Windows users?! I don't want to create 100 local users with a lot of privileges outside of MT just to use them in MT. It's definitely not a good solution. Please change the way it's working.

3. If you don't add own user management, make improvement to "add user" page. I tried to add a user and received error "User was not found". Because I didn't read the Help before I tried that action I was very surprised to see such error. Then I read the Help and created new user in Windows, tried to add it in MT Server and received the error again. A lot of failures before I guessed that I should write "JXT-notebook\testuser" (JXT-notebook is my notebook computer name according to Windows settings). I don't know what is "domain" so the note at the right not helped me.

4. In Server manager window there is an option to change "client name". I've changed it on my second PC and if I open the browser and log in with the second username I can see the "client name" is changed. But when I log in with Admin and go to "timelines shared to me" I see the old "client name" (PC name according to Windows settings). Also when I add timeline I can't see the new (changed) "client name". If I have 100 PC and they are named "pc-1", "pc-2", "pc-3"... you should provide a way to tag/name them in MT (without changing Windows settings) to identify each PC easier.

5. Allow the Admin to manage shares of timelines. I mean to allow him to take timeline from User1 and to share it to User2.

6. Allow a user to create Filtered timeline locally and THEN to sync/share it with the server. This way the user will not be afraid of sharing personal activity with remote server and will allow him to upload and share only the data that should be shared. Currently all data is transferred to server and then it can be filtered. No privacy for users that have to share working activity with their boss. :-)

Other suggestions (not MT Server related):
  1. Add and option to use 3-4 different workspaces/desktops. I mean something like different desktops in some Linux GUIs. MT should use one DB but to allow you to create different "views". For example I have 7-8 timelines - 4 default + google calendar + 3 auto tag timelines. Now I want to add 5 timelines from MT Server and it becomes very difficult to play with all these timelines in one screen. I want to split my timelines and to have all my AutoTag timelines in one screen/view/desktop and all timelines from MT Server separated in another screen/view with option to quickly switch between the screens.

2. Add an option to change database location in the MT settings. That way I can switch between 2-3 different databases without exit MT and cut/paste playing with DB files.

3. In Statistics my days durations are always 24h. That's because I don't turn off my PC, I just sleep/hibernate it. Maybe should add an option to exclude "overnight away" from day duration calculation. You should take into account that "overnight away" may be something like time interval from 3:20 A.M. to 11:00 A.M.

4. Add a "Period view" tab. Something like current "Day" tab but with option to choose time period bigger than 1 day. Or just add second datepicker in the "Day" tab and rename it to something like "timelines overview".

5. Think about some price reduce for the Pro version. The software is GREAT and it definitely worth 67$ but you should get more popular and to have as much as possible new customers. If you reduce the price double you may have e.g. 3-4 times more new customers than if you keep current price. That leads to more profit and more popularity. At later stage when you have many loyal customers you can rise the price.

Thanks in advance if you add some of these suggestions to your to-do list and big thanks for your hard work so far on this great software!

Edited by user Saturday, December 8, 2012 2:49:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:29:42 AM(UTC)
admin

1. Its a bug, will be fixed.
2. I commented on this in another thread. It is a shortcut for now, we will work on MTS users in the coming versions.
3. We will make the help more explicit
4. We will take a look at it, sounds like a bug.
5. Currently the idea is that each user shares his timelines with the users he wants. Admin can see all of them. We can add this if there will be more requests for this.
6. Interesting, I think it would be great. This is quite a change, so it will not be in the coming version but we can add it in time.

1. Agreed, this has been on our todo list from the time we created the server version. We will get to it.
2. What you can do is have multiple MT instances running if you like. Lets say you are running one MT. Download USB version and copy it to two additional folders, so maybe MT1 and MT2. Copy the database in each of the data folders. Then you can run each MT with
ManicTime /name:mt1
ManicTime /name:mt2
Name has to be unique for each instance.
3. Shift day start should help with this?
http://www.manictime.com...settings-day-start-shift
4. This would not be such a problem, the main problem is that it would load a bunch of data. Also I think if you look at one day, details are already getting lost, you have to zoom in to see the all. On a larger scale I think only Computer usage timeline would be useful.
What would you do on a week view for example?

jwm4  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:05:30 AM(UTC)
jwm4

Man

I agree with OP that the week and sometimes month view would be useful, primarily when reviewing tagged time from a macro perspective - are all my weekly meetings with Client ABC tagged, did I include time spent doing xyz last week, etc. It's really a pain to do that type of review when you can only look at one day at a time. I find myself desiring it every month when I compile time for invoicing. I'm guessing you might say "well, you can do that in the timeline tab", however, i find that much less useful. I want to look at the bigger picture while I'm doing whatever manual tagging must be done and reviewing time to ensure I have tagged/autotagged it correctly, or in those instances where I need to add further specification to some time within an existing tag group. It's really no different than why you need day, week, month views in Outlook or Google calendar - different views for different perspectives.