Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jwm4  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2012 3:32:46 AM(UTC)
jwm4

Man

I don't understand how the ManicTimeTags.txt file (URL specified via ManicTimeServer) gets updated from the clients? Maybe what I should really be doing is asking whether it gets updated by the clients, and if so, how?

The documentation is fairly opaque on this point. It says "automatic update", however, I don't see any updating occurring, nor any way for that to actually occur (via the txt file). One could put that txt file in Dropbox, IF there was a way for the relevant clients to read/write to it, but unless I'm missing something, that's not how it works.

Please help - I'm thoroughly confused!
admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2012 10:39:33 AM(UTC)
admin

I'll first explain what server does. So server "watches" the file on disk and waits for any changes. When the change occurs it updates its tag database. So now the updated tags are on the server, but not yet on the clients.

ManicTime (the desktop part) can connect to the server. When you connect it to the server you can set that it gets tags from the server
http://www.manictime.com...he-server-from-manictime

(On the last image - Sync tags from the server)

ManicTime exchanges data with the server every minute or so, so when it does, server notifies it about the tags change and the tags are updated on the clients as well.

Does this help?
jwm4  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:23:11 AM(UTC)
jwm4

Man

Yes that helps. I had missed that server status on each client. The tags are not syncing, though. All three of my clients have a green up arrow and text stating "4 server tags", however, the tags on each client are in fact very different when youo look at them via each client's tag editor. Should they not be all the same if they are syncing?

Thanks for your assistance!
admin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:46:13 AM(UTC)
admin

If you right click the status (on the up arrow you mentioned) it should show 4 timelines and Server tags.

Server tags work a bit differently than normal tags. They will show up in Tag picker. So on Add tag dialog, a folder structure like icon.
Once you pick one and tag some time with it, it will show up on the main Add tag window.

Our thinking was that a company might have a bunch of projects, but you are mostly interested in a couple of your own tags.

In other words, there are "your tags", the tags you used to tag some time, then there are "server tags", more like a list of tags to choose your own tags from.

Does this make sense? Looking back, it seems like we complicated this to much.