Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dj22  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:03:20 PM(UTC)
dj22

Hi, I'm trying to see what I did in a specific time range. I moved the line on the time bar but the total statistics on the bottom don't change. Is that how it should be or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
billynair  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2010 12:38:46 AM(UTC)
billynair

After you zoom (or not zoom) you might try selecting the area you are concerned with. I THINK this is what you are trying to do, if not, give a little more info on what you want to see.
billynair attached the following image(s):
screenshot.gif (90kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2010 11:07:15 AM(UTC)
admin

If you are talking about summary on the bottom right part of the Day screen, you are correct. It always displays stats for the whole day, not just the part you are looking at.

As billynair already replied, you can easily see the summary for just the part you are interested in, just drag a selection and summary will change to use only the selected time.

Edited by user Friday, June 18, 2010 11:13:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jmsalk  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:19:23 AM(UTC)
jmsalk

Is there any way to change the contents of the *Details* (bottom left part of Day screen) upon selecting (and/or zooming into) a specific time range?

Particularly for zooming to a time selection, I would expect the Details to correspond precisely to what the timelines are currently displaying (rather than the current behavior of having the corresponding entries in the Details section selected, but also mixed-in with all the other day's entries). Could this be an enhancement for a future release?

Also, I noticed in the current version of MT (2.3.4.0), the Summary part is different (from the version that billynair's image is from) when selecting a specific time range. I actually liked the previous version's behavior in how the % bars changed to reflect the current selection. (The current version now re-sorts with the group with the most time for your selection moving to the top, as before, but it shows the selected time for each group in parenthesees only and even less helpful the % bars still reflect the % for the day, not for just the selection). Any reason why this got changed?

Thanks.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:26:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Removed question about sorting by selected entries (since sorting by start time does that - except f

admin  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:53:13 AM(UTC)
admin

First, why we changed the summary part
When we added checkboxes to Summary part, it became to confusing. Checkboxes are either checked if everything is selected, square if app is only partially selected or empty if it is not selected at all.
On the second tab checkboxes would always be selected, on the first they could be partially or fully selected. So on selected tab if you would uncheck it, it would be removed from the list, you would have to go to All tab to select it again... It was just to confusing so we combined it.
We could show percent selected when selection is made, instead of full percents the way it is now.

The problem with zoom is mostly technical. Imagine that Computer usage timeline is selected and I have Active from 8am to 11am.
If I zoom in to 9am to 11am, this Active part would now have to be clipped from 9am to 11am. Then if I for example check it, this check is probably for 9am to 11am, not from 8am to 11am.
Then if I zoom out, the selection should change to partially selected because I selected from 9am to 11am.
Or what if I zoom in, then right click Active and choose delete. Does it delete only zoomed part or the whole active part?
Obviously it can be done, the question is, would it be better and also how much slower would it work.
jmsalk  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 9:09:53 PM(UTC)
jmsalk

Thanks for the reply. Here is my follow-up:

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
First, why we changed the summary part [...]
We could show percent selected when selection is made, instead of full percents the way it is now.

That would be nice; it would be much more intuitive and helpful to have both summary and details sections match the selection in the timelines.

The problem with zoom is mostly technical. Imagine that Computer usage timeline is selected and I have Active from 8am to 11am.
If I zoom in to 9am to 11am, this Active part would now have to be clipped from 9am to 11am. Then if I for example check it, this check is probably for 9am to 11am, not from 8am to 11am.
Then if I zoom out, the selection should change to partially selected because I selected from 9am to 11am.

I understand the technical problem - it's kind of awkward to change from fully selected to partially selected - I wonder if it's easier to show those time chunks as separate (in the details section) whenever you make a partial selection so that no matter whether zoomed-in or out, if you select the partial time in the details section, that partial time will always be fully selected.

Or what if I zoom in, then right click Active and choose delete. Does it delete only zoomed part or the whole active part?

That probably could be handled if the Active part you right-click on would list only the times corresponding to your selection/what you've zoomed into, since then it would be only common sense (to me at least) that what you'd be deleting would only correspond to the zoomed part, and NOT the whole active part.

Obviously it can be done, the question is, would it be better and also how much slower would it work.

If speed (UI response time) is an issue with these requested enhancements, then maybe you could also include an option in the Settings to enable/disable this behavior?
jxt  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 4:02:24 PM(UTC)
jxt

I disagree with jmsalk opinion. Please leave the UI like it's working in the current version.
jmsalk  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 9:55:55 PM(UTC)
jmsalk

jxt, that's why I also suggested an option to enable/disable this proposed new behavior: It would be disabled by default (so no change for those of you who don't want this to change). Would that be okay?