Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chaug  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 3:27:13 PM(UTC)
chaug

I'm using the USB version of ManicTime on my dropbox but the problem is that this tends to create conflicting versions of ManicTime.sdf because the tracker never releases the file unless you turn it off manually before shutting down the computer. As a result, the file is locked when the tracker on the other computer wants to open it and so it creates a new version. Because of this, I now have three versions of ManicTime.sdf with some days captured on one file and other days on another one.

Is there any way of merging those files? I have tried exporting the missing data from one file but I see no way to import it into the other.

Is there anything I can do? We are talking about 5 days that are in the wrong place so I could even do it manually if its possible to edit ManicTime.sdf in a text editor or so.

Another way I was thinking about is the ManicTime server, which I'm currently not using, but I was wondering if it would be possible to publish the missing days from two files to the server and then import it back into the third? But I suspect that the server files always stay on the server as separate timelines that cannot be merged with the locally stored sdf file, right?

regards,
christoph
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 8:09:59 PM(UTC)
admin

I'd manually tag those 5 days, to know what I was doing and forget about it. You can try merging it, but I doubt it is worth your time and we have no such tool.
You could import it to the server. Server will get much more usable in the coming versions and you will be able to get statistics from multiple timelines.

As for the Dropbox, don't know if this will help but you can try it. ManicTime.sdf file can be copied while in use. For example Backup now command only copies the database to a specified location while using it.
You can maybe make a job which will run every 10 minutes or whatever which will copy it to the Dropbox folder.
Again, don't know if it will help, just hought I'd mention it.
chaug  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:10:02 PM(UTC)
chaug

Thanks for your reply. Tagging those five days manually is not really feasible, except if I limit myself to the tags-timeline only. The others are way to cluttered to reproduce manually. I've tried to find a way to open and edit sdf files directly and there seem to be some tools, but after having installed one of them, I am asked to install another component (SQL server or something) which I don't know how to do and I'm still not sure whether I would be able to do the editing that I want to do once I made that additional installation since I have no idea how clear tge structure of the sdf files will be ince I open them...

Regarding the new server: will it be possible to copy the content from a server timeline to a locally stored one?

Regarding the dropbox: I'm not sure what use this regular backup job might be (esp since dropbox is itself keeping copies of all file versions 30 days back). My problem is that I was using a version A of ManicTime.sdf in my office which was then not accessible for manictime on my home PC so that it created version B of ManicTime.sdf which was then not accessible when I went back to the office so that version C was created. Each of these files contains relevant data and I need to find a way to merge them. What ManicTime developers could contribute to avoiding this problem in future is that ManicTime closes and releases/unlocks the sdf file when it is asked to shut down by the windows shutdown process, because then the file will be available for whicherver computer will try to access it next.

Ooooh! but now I actually understand what your suggestion was about! Sorty, it took me a while! You are suggesting to store manictime.sdf outside the dropbox but make a copy of it there every few minutes. I see! But, unfortunately, that wont work, because even if I will then use the backed up sdf file on another computer, how will the first computer know that it's now the backed up file in the dropbox that is supposed to be used? So please consider my suggestion above. Many people are using dropbox and probably face this same problem.
admin  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:03:40 PM(UTC)
admin

Yes, I just meant the tags. Like Project 1 3hrs, Project 2 4hrs ....

We usually use this tool to edit the db
http://fishcodelib.com/Database.htm

Regarding the server, probably not, or at least it is not on our list at the moment.

My suggestion would be to not use it with DropBox. I get what you are trying to do, but it is just not the kind of app which would work with DropBox. It would be a major change for this to work, if it is even possible.