Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ondrej  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 12:57:23 PM(UTC)
ondrej

Man
Czech Republic

When you save timesheet settings, save also date range, otherwise it is useless. Also allow to delete previously saved settings, it is not possible in current version.
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 1:23:00 PM(UTC)
admin

We'll add a date range.
Delete is really badly done. Hold down CTRL and click on it, it will ask you if you'd like to delete it.
admin  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 1:31:23 PM(UTC)
admin

By date range you mean just Week, Month, not specific dates?
ondrej  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 9:52:29 PM(UTC)
ondrej

Man
Czech Republic

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
By date range you mean just Week, Month, not specific dates?

I mean exact settings of date range, which is value selected in ComboBox plus From and To dates.
admin  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 10:23:49 PM(UTC)
admin

I guess our idea was to save the settings for a report, which you use more than once. Similar to statistics, dates are not saved there as well.

For example working on project XY, you make a monthly report. We saw no point in saving the date range as well. Then it would forever default to some date half a year ago.

Edited by user Friday, April 20, 2012 10:24:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ondrej  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 11:58:15 PM(UTC)
ondrej

Man
Czech Republic

I guess our idea was to save the settings for a report, which you use more than once. Similar to statistics, dates are not saved there as well.

For example working on project XY, you make a monthly report. We saw no point in saving the date range as well. Then it would forever default to some date half a year ago.

I will give you an example why it is needed: One of my projects started 9.5.2011 and I'am still working on it. If there is no possibility to save at least From date, I must always enter this date manually and I must have this date written somewhere else in text file (to prevent forgetting it). Saving whole date range settings will make things much easier.

Edited by user Saturday, April 21, 2012 12:20:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:11:08 AM(UTC)
admin

Lets say I create a timesheet from 9.5.2011 to 1.7.2011. Then I will forever have to change the end date, like you now have to change the start date.
I think that what you want is to save the start date, but not the end date?
I mean as it is now, you have to change the start date, then you will have to change the end date.

I still think that defaulting to current date is better, at least we work this way when we bill for the previous month.
I also think that defaulting to the same date in the past at which the timesheet was created is not a good solution.
ondrej  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 12:18:20 PM(UTC)
ondrej

Man
Czech Republic

Lets say I create a timesheet from 9.5.2011 to 1.7.2011. Then I will forever have to change the end date, like you now have to change the start date.
I think that what you want is to save the start date, but not the end date?
I mean as it is now, you have to change the start date, then you will have to change the end date.

I still think that defaulting to current date is better, at least we work this way when we bill for the previous month.
I also think that defaulting to the same date in the past at which the timesheet was created is not a good solution.

Yes. And that is why is needed to save both From and To dates. Current date in default settings is good, but definitively not when loading saved settings. It is forcing you to enter dates every time you need required timesheet. Not every user uses application features in the way you using it, or how you imagined he/she will be using it.
admin  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 12:50:18 PM(UTC)
admin

We both said we wanted to say and I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I invite others who feel like you to let us know. If there will be others who agree with you we will change this, otherwise it will stay like it is.
ondrej  
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 2:05:01 PM(UTC)
ondrej

Man
Czech Republic

We both said we wanted to say and I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I invite others who feel like you to let us know. If there will be others who agree with you we will change this, otherwise it will stay like it is.

OK, then let me know about your decision.
jxt  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:53:40 PM(UTC)
jxt

I also think the date settings should be saved. If you set to "this month" it should always load this setting and if you set to custom date range it should remember it.
time manic  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 1:52:18 AM(UTC)
time manic

Man

Indeed, not all users have the same applications of this software. Probably the developers would be surprised if all nuances of uses and methods of its users could be shown.

I understand the point from ondrej, it is not necessary for me now, possibly because of how I use it, now. But I can see how useful it can be, and if necessary, I certainly could make use of it. I like keeping the previous settings as a standard, but being able to save previous settings is useful.

I also understand the point of view of the developers, it can be annoying revisiting stuff once considered done, or maybe working with something particularly unpleasant.

However, the opinion of users are, in my view, more valuable than the product itself. If all (reasonable) comments were applied, the product would transform from the original good idea from the developers, into what the customers want and use. Looking back, I imagine manictime was far from what it is now, and it is becoming really worthy of every cent, and a respectable competitor in this niche. Happy customers share their comments with close acquaintances, and the software once small only grows.

I like ondrej’s request, but I am not the judge to label such request as worthy. Certainly you admin can see the value in adding options for how your customers use your software. Implementing will be always up to you, but I tell you that to me that is a legitimate useful request. I would be glad to see this option available.
admin  
#13 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 9:29:55 AM(UTC)
admin

We will add it.

So just to be clear:
If date is set to This week, month, year it changes when you load it to current week, month, year.

If you have it set to custom when you save, it always shows the same date.

Is this ok?

Edited by user Friday, May 18, 2012 9:30:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jxt  
#14 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 12:39:46 PM(UTC)
jxt

Yes if you save it to "current week" you can generate report every week just with loading saved settings and without changing anything. If you set to some custom dates - load them as they were saved.
time manic  
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2012 8:07:58 AM(UTC)
time manic

Man

If I could or wanted to save dates (or the whole configuration for reports), I wanted to label that configuration with a (meaningful) name. Over time I would have few of those templates ready to use. I presume the custom function is just a method for allowing changes to be made to each and every setting, right? It is not something such as this week, this month, custom, and that’s it? If it is, I advise to consider custom as an input method only, as this week is hard coded to give start and end according to today’s date, custom allows static and individual control. Going further in this idea, how about adding other hard coded terms, such as previous week, month, year, fortnight, quarter, semester, and maybe something else I cannot think of. Also, individual selection for those hardcoded items, such as I could select the start as this month, but end would be previous week (so this current week, yet to finish, would not count). Then start and end as this month, would be how it is today, but start as this month, end as previous fortnight would be from 1st until ~15th, until the next fortnight, and so on. Maybe you could add a simple rule such as when the distracted user puts start smaller then end, a nice message to review start and end dates.

Yeah, the sky is the limit, our opinion is definitely worth gold, eh?!
ondrej  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:44:14 PM(UTC)
ondrej

Man
Czech Republic

We will add it.

So just to be clear:
If date is set to This week, month, year it changes when you load it to current week, month, year.

If you have it set to custom when you save, it always shows the same date.

Is this ok?

This will work exactly as I imagine. Thank you very much for positive response.