Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidem  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2012 1:39:01 AM(UTC)
davidem

programs like citrix provide application windows on the local desktop which are accessed from portal programs like ica32.exe, or iexplorer.exe

While a single local executable is running locally, you are accessing any number of distinct applications. Currently Manictime can only extract info for these programs into the Documents timeline, but often these would be more appropriately treated as distinct groups on the Application timeline.

The CustomTitle mechanism should be enhanced to be able to extract a disctinct group from the window titles of such windows, so that and Application can be extracted from one part of the title, and possibly a Document or other element from other parts, either in a single regex evaluation of the title, or in one.

Once and application is identified, where appropriate, allow it to be mapped to an existing executable for which manictime can extract the document info from the remainder of the line.

e.g.

I run the following apps via Citrix:
Fenics
Opics
Derivatech

and the following via IE:
HP QualityCenter
Anthill

These are more appropriately treated as "apps" rather than documents or Web sites.

for the Citrix hosted apps, the title bar is generally the same is it would be if the apps were run natively on the local host, so one should be able to extract Document info from it, if one is able to identify the application itself from the window title.

davidem  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:44:11 PM(UTC)
davidem

am I the only one who uses virtualized apps?
admin  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2013 9:02:16 AM(UTC)
admin

What do I need to setup a test environment for this?
davidem  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2013 6:48:10 PM(UTC)
davidem

I don't think any of these environments are easy (or free) to set up. I'm not sure what it takes to setup an Anthill instance as an example of a web-based program, but other examples would be bugzilla.

Fot the actual hosting portals, what I would do is create a mock program (virutalizedAppPortal.exe) which puts up windows with titles that look just like some ordinary programs (word, excel, notepad, etc.)

The plugin/parser for the portal would be configurable to "hand off" the document parsing to another plugin/CustomTitle handler, after you determine which "app" the window represents. Given that you don't have access to Citrix or something like it (an xwindows server and remote hosts for x clients), I would do the handoff determination by yet another regex parsing.

So, if the window has "Microsoft Word" in the title, you hand off the the Microsoft Word parser that you already have in place via CustomTitle.txt. I doubt you'd be able to hand off to the plugin unless it is a plugin that only references the Title itself.

I'd say something general purpose is good to start with. If there's value in going further, I can probably help with a specialized plugin for something like citrix.
admin  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2013 10:18:00 AM(UTC)
admin

Could you post a few examples of titles, I guess MT should've cought some by now...