Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidem  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:57:19 PM(UTC)
davidem

an exception on one autotag should probably not break the others

with a previous thread as preamble:
"server timeline names discarded when publishing same source timelines from new host/user"

I have ended up with an "orphaned" timeline subscription in one of my clients.

I had autotags on the client associated to the subscribed timeline, but the failure to subscribe to the re-published timeline has broken those associated autotags, generating and exception which breaks the display of ALL autotags.

clicking on the yellow triangle on the AutoTags timeline shows:

System.Exception: DayView: Updating timeline exception:

---
System.Exception: Some timelines failed to load

and no Autotags will show.

removing the Rules associated with the orphaned timeline resolves the issue.

besides handling the exception itself so the autotags still work (under this or other processing exceptions), it would be nice if the rule could be re-bound to a new timeline.

clicking on the orphaned timeline shows:

System.Exception: DayView: Updating timeline exception:

---
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: requestUriString
at System.Net.WebRequest.Create(String requestUriString)
at Finkit.ManicTime.Common.Servers.Web.GenericWebClient.CreateRequest(String url, ICredentials credentials, String method, Object resource, Dictionary`2 headers)
at Finkit.ManicTime.Common.Servers.Web.GenericWebClient.Get[T](String url, ICredentials credentials)
at Finkit.ManicTime.Common.Servers.WebClientService.GetActivityUpdates(Server server, String url)
at Finkit.ManicTime.Client.Plugins.ServerSourceType.ServerDayViewLoader.<>c__DisplayClass1b.<>c__DisplayClass1f.<BeginGetUpdates>b__14()

File Attachment(s):
autotag exception evaluating rule from orphaned timeline subscription.jpg (284kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
davidem attached the following image(s):
removed rules to orphaned timeline subscription.jpg (168kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
davidem  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2012 11:06:33 PM(UTC)
davidem

this post also has two attachments, only one of which is showing
admin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2012 11:37:33 PM(UTC)
admin

Definitively not one of our best solutions :)
When we came to this problem during development we decided to just show the error. We could just load the timeline with whatever data we could use. The reason we chose this way was that if for example you run timesheets (or just look at the day) and depend on that data, it can change every time a timeline is available or not without you knowing it.
I guess some middle way would be best. Something like a yellow warning sign like now, but when you click on it, it tells you why it doesn't work and offers a solution, deleting the orphaned rules.
As for the reapplying the rules, I guess if we offered some import/export of autotags, you could during import choose to which timelines you want to apply them. Maybe something like that?
davidem  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:45:27 AM(UTC)
davidem

yeah, I appreciated the fact that the autotags are cascading, and that just skipping ones that don't work could give you "incorrect" results.

While something drastic like not showing the timeline at all is the most glaring indicator, of course, it's necessarily an "exceptional" situation, though. and a user is either willing to deal with "best effort" results with the understanding that they are based on incomplete info, instead of resolving the exception at that moment, or they are going to fix it before relying on the autotag results. Their choice, I'd say, but the way it is now, there is no choice: you must fix it on the spot. It's not as if some bot is making realtime decisions based on the autotags without appreciating that something is awry.

--

The import/export of autotags could serve as a way to rebind a large number of them, yes, but perhaps a more directly editable rule could serve as well, if that's easier in the meantime. The import/export/share is an already requested feature, so I imagine if that were small, it would already be here.

I ended up going through all my rules and taking screenshots so I could know what to restore, but some of them cannot be restored exactly, since creating them depended upon example timeline data which I cannot easily find, offhand.

--

It wouldn't have happened at all but for the clobbering of the timeline id on the server. I was under the impression from a previous issue I had that these were keyed with some GUID or something, kept on the source timeline, so I expected the re-published data would just show up under the old name. Why didn't it happen that way?
admin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2012 9:19:56 PM(UTC)
admin

I think it happened because you used a different user. I think if you used the same user it would just continue publishing on the new machine. But because you used a new user you had to publish it again, which created new timelines...
Every update to the server is first filtered based on the user. So it looks for the timelines for this user. This is more of a security precaution so another user can't get access to the data.
I guess the solution could be that, you install MT on new machine and use the old db. Then Add server to register the new user on the server. Then go to the server with a browser and somehow say transfer old users timelines to the new user. Then I guess it should all start working. Something like that...