Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sos4ever  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:21:22 AM(UTC)
sos4ever

I have a new laptop and have not installed ManicTime yet because I need to pull in an older database and run some reports for a upcoming court action. I know that I can simply start with a new install and then copy my old database so that I can run my reports.

After that can I delete the old database from my new install and start with a new database or is it necessary to just add on to my newly installed old database with new tracking history?

Also if I were to go that route, i.e. adding databases to have one main database, is there a way to do fiscal runs of data collection and then copy them out for historical record-keeping and then if they were later needed, to join say 1 quarter of activity with another quarter of activity to arrive at a new whole?
admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:20:54 PM(UTC)
admin

You have three options:
-Use the old database on the new machine. It will just continue on and you can create any report you wish (I'd go with this one)

-You can load the old database when you need to. You will have to join reports manually where the database crossed over.

-You can use a server to load a database form the old machine. If the reports you mention are tags, then you can use the timesheet to join data from other machines. In this case you could have the old data loaded for future reference, but if it will be rarely needed it is probably to much work. (If this is something you would like to try let me know and I'll write some more about it.)
sos4ever  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:06:58 PM(UTC)
sos4ever

I am interested in the third option can you elaborate on this solution's implementation as I have not utilized the server version? As well, this would be a good tutorial, as I am sure others might be faced with a similar situation and your delineating the steps would be very helpful.

Regards,

Dave

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
You have three options:
-Use the old database on the new machine. It will just continue on and you can create any report you wish (I'd go with this one)

-You can load the old database when you need to. You will have to join reports manually where the database crossed over.

-You can use a server to load a database form the old machine. If the reports you mention are tags, then you can use the timesheet to join data from other machines. In this case you could have the old data loaded for future reference, but if it will be rarely needed it is probably to much work. (If this is something you would like to try let me know and I'll write some more about it.)

admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2012 10:08:49 AM(UTC)
admin

Ok so first you need to get the server up and running. This is explained here
http://www.manictime.com...erverReleases/Version_v1

When you think the server works, try visiting it with browser on the same machine it is running.
So http://localhost:8080/
If you get a page then it is working. Then try to visit the url with a browser from another machine. If you can't access it, it most likely means there is a firewall blocking your requests.
When this works connect to the server from MT.

Now you will be able to publish the data from your new database, but we still need to get the old data there. We don't advertise this much, but you can run multiple copies of MT simultaneously. So to get the old data to the server do this:
-Download USB copy
-Extract it to some folder
-In the same folder you extracted files to, create a Data subfolder and copy in your old database.
-Run manictime with 'ManicTime /name:old'
-This will get a second instance running with your old data. Publish the data to the server. When it finishes, open Settings and uncheck Start when windows start. Then Exit. You can also delete the folder with USB version.
-In the current ManicTime you can then go to Timesheet and create timesheets based on tag data from old database.