Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidem  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2012 2:20:56 AM(UTC)
davidem

some events are not greying out on the autotag timeline, even when they have user manual tags.

additionally, the selectability state looks confused for the remaining items from the autotag that the tag partially covered are not selectable in the normal manner.

toggling the tag selectability state in the toolbar did not resolve the issue.
File Attachment(s):
ungreyed autotags.jpg (400kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2012 9:24:04 AM(UTC)
admin

They turn grey when all associated time is tagged. When it is only partially tagged it keeps the color, that is why Active for example is still green, because not all of associated time was tagged.

Can't comment on the lower third dbquery since it starts at 5:01, which is not part of the image, but I imagine that time is not tagged.
davidem  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 10:26:53 PM(UTC)
davidem

I see.

The unexpected behavior is that what was broken up entries in both the Applications and Documents timelines (because I was editing different files, and accessed an Open File dialog, which does not resolve to a document) happened to resolve to a single entry in the the AutoTag timeline, rather than a series of consecutive entries which happen to resolve to the same value (who's endpoints coincide with the endpoints of the Applications and Document timeline entries).

I suppose that as long as the selection prevents you from choosing the already tagged values, then that is good enough for now, but in a sense, the current behavior gives a form of "double counting" of time. If I first glance at my tagged time to get a sense of where my time was spent, and then glance at the autotags, which I am expecting to show only untagged time (and usually does, by my selection option), the total for "db query" is still showing time that has been "counted" under tags.

I can cope with it, of course, but there may be virtues to breaking the autotags into entries that align with the Application or Document timelines from which it derives, or at least in how to treat the greying/totalling with respect to the tagged entries.
admin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:12:17 AM(UTC)
admin

I agree, it would be much better if this was broken up, so that it would be accurately grayed out.
We were aware of this when we were working on this feature. The problem was that we would have to break things up on the fly, then a lot of the stuff becomes harder. For example now you can delete one entry, lets say Active from 10am to 11am. If we break it up on the fly, we have to keep the same functionality, so lets say its broken up in 10:30 to 11:00. If we delete this we have to modify the database, not only delete it, because now 10:00 to 10:30 stays while 10:30 to 11:00 is deleted.
All this stuff just becomes a lot harder. It can all be done, but in the end the question always comes down to, do we want to waste a month on this or do we rather work on something else. I guess its obvious how we decided in this case :)

For example, one thing I'd really like to see is a unified Documents and Apps timeline. The only reason they are separate is to keep a summary for each. So you have a summary of all the apps, as well as a summary for all sites. If we unified it, there would have to be two summaries, which means a different way of working for this timeline and again a lot of changes throughout the app.

There is a bunch of stuff like this in MT, where it would be great to fix it, but for now it just isn't important enough. But I'm sure we will fix all of this when the time comes.