Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidem  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:21:31 AM(UTC)
davidem

if one thinks of applying a tag to an activity mid-stream, that is a nice thing, but as soon as one switches to the ManicTime app to apply said tag, a new application is active, and thus the tag necessarily only applies to the event that has already happened, rather than what is "ongoing".

It would be nice if it had the ability to invoke a the "apply tags" dialog from "within" another app (via keystroke, e.g.), and apply that tag until the current event ends (at a time that has not been reached yet). If manictime popup window was itself ignored as an "application switch", then this would work, since the previous event will not been seen to have been interrupted.

admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:08:08 AM(UTC)
admin

You lost me. What do you mean by apply a tag? I'm not sure if you are describing tags or autotags.
davidem  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 3:19:04 AM(UTC)
davidem

I am referring to regular (ad hoc) tagging, something which you couldn't really cover well with an AutoTag, or where you want to augment what might be covered with an AutoTag with a regular tag.

Essentially, you can only apply tags after the fact, while you may happen think of applying the tag early on in the midst of some activity, and forget to do it afterward (for those who are unregimented like me, who need ManicTime in the first place!)

But switching away from the current app activity (the event interval you want to tag now, and have the "rest of it" likewise tagged as well) cuts off the current activity, and begins a new event (ManicTime). Switching back to the other app will simply start a new, untagged event interval.

If the switch to the popup tagging window was not recognized by ManicTime as an application switch, then the event interval in the original app would be uninterrrupted. Combine that with the fact that the "event" (however long it ended up being) is tagged, and it would be "sticky" - the tag you just applied would cover from "now" until you switched away to some other app.
davidem  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 9:19:39 PM(UTC)
davidem

I have reflected upon this further, and it seems that it could be accomplished with some additional options on the Stopwatch feature.

Stopwatch will blindly tag whatever interval you are about to start with the designated tag, until you tell it to stop.

What I am thinking of is something that will tag only a certain activity (the one you just switched away from in order to invoke a ManicTime tagging dialog), rather than all activity, until some trigger stops it. The trigger in this case would be an application switch to something else other than the one currently being tracked, or a window title/document change under that same app, whatever.

The trigger could be smartened up with a threshold time to still tag the same application/window title/doc even after an app switch < threshold. Such a thing could serve the stopwatch function in general, as an alternative to a reminder interval.

The tagging logic itself would operate like a "temporary autotag", in that it is subject to a rule, subject to a trigger/timing constraint, and produce real Tags instead of AutoTags.