Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidem  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 6:46:06 PM(UTC)
davidem

we have multiple domains at work (well, 2), and I have been issued the same username under each domain.

I see that ManicTime distinguishes the entries published to a server by the base username, and the host, but it does not show the domain.

If I publish timelines from my two separate logins (with the same username, say 'david') from the same workstation, can they coexist, or will one overwrite the other?
admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:19:03 AM(UTC)
admin

Internally MTS stores UserId, the shown info is just something to describe the timeline. You can connect from both domains.

When you do, most likely timelines will have the same name. What you can do is rename the timeline on the server.
When you publish timeline, visit the server with the browser, you will get a list of timelines with rename buttons. When you rename it will also reflect the change in any client which is displaying this timeline.

For rename you have to have server v1.1.
davidem  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:05:37 PM(UTC)
davidem

I have v1.1.1 of the server (I upgraded to fix the Tag order updating bug). Rename of the timeline is not taking. It gives me a prompt to change, and I put it in as I want and say OK, but seemingly no change is taken.
I refresh the server page, and it looks the same as before, showing the Last Update as NaN NaN ... for all timelines
admin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:59:14 AM(UTC)
admin

Which browser are you using? If you are using IE, could you try with either FF or Chrome?

davidem  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 2:52:21 AM(UTC)
davidem

the behavior I described was with IE.

I tried it with FF. It prompts me for credentials, which doesn't happen with IE. When I give them (without the domain\ qualifier), it brings me to a "Timelines" page that has no timelines showing. If I go back to IE, it shows the timelines, still, but it discards my renames.
admin  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 10:29:09 AM(UTC)
admin

After you post I tested it with IE8 and rename doesn't work. I must admit, server pages were not thoroughly tested. For now they were mostly for our testing of the server.

If it helps, we did test it with latest FF and Chrome. And you have to click OK when you rename, I think enter also doesn't work.

Page is mostly just javascript and it looks like we still have much to learn. We will work on it after the new year, so I hope it will be much more useful in the next version.
davidem  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 8:11:35 PM(UTC)
davidem

I was able to update the timeline names on the server using FF.

I can't figure out how to get FF to supply the AD credentials to sites automatically across the board, anyway, since my workstation doesn't have the same DNS domain as most of our internal sites), so when I initially supplied the credentials, I only gave the username w/o the domain qualifier (<username> instead of <domain>\username). It evidently didn't authenticate correctly, since it dumped me at the Timelines page, but with no entries showing
davidem  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 8:36:39 PM(UTC)
davidem

What is failing to work now, though, is the original issue that I posted about. Initially I was concerned that if I tried to publish from the login AD-ENT\a115809 from workstation 1, it would overwrite the server timeline I had already published for CIBNA\a115809 from the same workstation.

Well, after renaming the existing timeline, to make it unabiguous (and more readable), I attempted to publish the second login from the same workstation. There was no overwriting, but the server fails to "take" the additional timeline. I tried it with the Computer Activity timeline, first, since I don't care so much about that one, and could live with it being clobbered.

While the manictime client says it has "Sent in the last minute", the additional timeline does not show up as existing on the server, either in the Timelines view of the server, or available for subscription from another client session.

This is not an issue of too many timelines on a MSSQL-CE session. If I unpublish some other timeline that works, to "make room", I still cannot get the new timeline to show.
admin  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2012 11:50:03 AM(UTC)
admin

When you say you published from the same workstation, is this from the same database or not?

It works like this. When you publish to the server, server returns an id, lets call it sever timeline id. It is just some random number and this is the number they use to synchronize.
If you published from two different databases then everything should work.

Problem arises only if you publish from the same database to the same server.
For example if I publish from database 1 to server 1, then copy the database 1 somewhere else and it still publishes to server 1. In this case two same ids are publishing to the same server. In this case server will take modifications from one and discard the other.
Other than that when you click publish server, timeline id is assigned to the timeline.

The names are just for display, they can be the same or different, it doesn't matter. So rename is just for you, it has no impact on server client synchronization.

Are you sure that both domains have access to the server? I mean do users from both domains have access to the server?
davidem  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 8:40:35 PM(UTC)
davidem

They are separate datebases on the same workstation (from their respective LocalSettings folder, or wherever it stores it). They were separate before they were ever published to this, or any, ManicTime server. I only got ManicTimeServer for the first time recently.

Both domains have access to the server (just another workstation), and both publishing users are admins on said workstation hosting the ManicTimeServer, which runs as a service under the System account. In fact, the instance who's timeline is failing to show is actually of the account which is under the primary domain of both the publishing workstation and the manictimeserver workstation itself. It is also the same account I had to provide to get access to see the timelines via FF. The "other" account, under the "old" domain, is the one that IS working.

The UI instance who's timeline is not showing on the server is nevertheless showing the "Sent in last minute" indicator. This is in contrast to what I see if I try to publish from my laptop over VPN where (because authentication isn't working completely because of routing issues to the old domain) I get "connection actively refused", or some such thing.
admin  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:33:52 AM(UTC)
admin

Could you try something. What happens if you load timelines from the same MT instance you are publishing from.
In MT instance which says Sent in the last minute and you don't see timeline on the list, can you load it in this same instance in Timeline editor? If you can, then it could be a security issue.
By default MTS will only show timelines from the same user. Since you are using users from two different domains, they are probably not the same. If this is the problem, then just add both to admin users in config file.
http://www.manictime.com...3/41/setting-permissions
davidem  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2012 7:45:40 PM(UTC)
davidem

success. RTFM. shame on me!