Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stevenp  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2011 4:49:59 PM(UTC)
stevenp

* Each Tab in Statistics Page should have a Property whether to have it's own Date Range.
Such tabs could be marked with a different Tab's color to distinguish among others without Custom Date Range.

* I have multiple Tabs on Statistics Page. It's great that it's multi-line and I don't have to scrub the long list of tabs, but finding the necessary tab is not always easy. There's no way to reorganize tabs, like in Browsers, e.g. Firefox, Chrome, IE, Opera.

* Currently there's no ability to reorganize (drag'n'drop) items in the list of items (Tags/Apps/Docs), there's even no way to sort them by name, however sorting works in the dialog which appears when adding items.
A "#" column could be added to allow sorting Manually, Alphabetically (by Name) and by Time (by Totals).

* Columns width in Statistic Page is not remembered after restarting ManicTime/Windows

* Window Size and Position of the Dialog with Items is not remembered

* No way to add Auto-Tags to Statistics page

* After changing a Color in the Day View, the Color is not updated in the Statistics page. When editing an Item, in the dialog where we pick items near the color chip - there could be added a button to update/refresh the color from Day View, of course this button can be available only when there's only one item selected for filter.

* The Hex code for color cannot be Pasted, only Copying works.

* After renaming an Item in Statistics View and pressing Enter key the item is not renamed. You have to use mouse to press OK button, otherwise it is not renamed.

Hopefully suggestions will be added to your to-do list. Thanks

Edited by user Saturday, December 3, 2011 6:18:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

stevenp  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2011 6:24:13 PM(UTC)
stevenp

For the Property for Tabs to have it's own Date Range, a checkbox item "Lock Date Range" can be added in Tab's Pop-up context menu. Currently there's only two commands - "Rename" and "Close".
Also if Drag'n'Drop cannot be implemented, you can add here another two commands - "Move Left"/"Move Right"
stevenp  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 12:57:09 AM(UTC)
stevenp

One more thing - commands to check/uncheck all items in the tab
it can be a simple check box which will check/uncheck all the checkboxes

Thanks for your efforts!
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 11:01:18 AM(UTC)
admin

Added to our todo list:
Order of items
Check all
Enter not working for rename
The Hex code for color cannot be Pasted, only Copying works.

We will see about this ones, depends on how much work is required:
Drag drop for organizing tabs
Color updating

For now we wont work on these
At least for now for autotags timesheet will have to do. We could add charts to timesheet, but statistics and timesheet work in completely different way, so to integrate it with statstics would take some time.
Custom date for every tab - I think this would confuse the UI. At least I generally look at the same date span, if we implemented this user would constantly have to check the date and modify it to set the same span as on other tabs.
stevenp  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 11:38:44 AM(UTC)
stevenp

Thank you very much for considering my suggestions!

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Added to our todo list:
Custom date for every tab - I think this would confuse the UI. At least I generally look at the same date span, if we implemented this user would constantly have to check the date and modify it to set the same span as on other tabs.

I think it already confuses *some* users which may think that by default each tab have it's own time span - it's logical for them as each tab have it's own purpose and completely different set of items and of course it should have it's own time span. Another - your type of user - may think that the date span is for all tabs.

That's why this should be an option - to satisfy both user types - furthermore, additional sub-menu can be added to tab's popup menu - Copy Date range from...>[List_of_Tabs]

And to avoid the user from confusion, such tabs with custom Date range can be denoted with different color which can be set in Settings dialog or with a symbol like asterisk "*" (like in Total Commander for locked tabs)

Main reason to add custom Date range is because Charts can be Grouped by Day/Week/Month - and this Grouping is saved for each tab and it would work well in conjunction with specific Date ranges.

Of course this function is useless for a novice user, but it's necessary when you have already a few month of data, not speaking about year. So, yes, to enable this feature an option in Settings dialog like "Enable Custom Date range for Statistics" can be added.

There are already some things in the application which may confuse a user, like Match Any/All groups, Autotag Diagnostics mode (this should be renamed to something like "Advanced/Extended info"), the "All" hyperlink for single tags in Recent tags list (that confuses really for the first time), and perhaps some other things to which I get used, adapted, and now cannot mention

BTW: ManicTime is the Best!

Edited by user Monday, December 5, 2011 10:45:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

stevenp  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:45:48 AM(UTC)
stevenp

hopefully you will change your mind about custom date range and add this to the to-do list
stevenp  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2011 1:14:25 PM(UTC)
stevenp

Furthermore, if hopefully "Custom Date range" will be implemented in ManicTime, it would be better to make the custom Date range automatically updated/refreshed by assigning Date range Presets. The "Shortcuts" toolbar can be renamed to "Presets" toolbar and function as a Template/Preset Date range assignment for current Statistic Tab. By doing this, there will be no need to press every day the "This Week/Month/Year/All" buttons. Simply by selecting another Statistic tab ManicTime will automatically refresh the Charts, Table and the Total(range). If there's no need to change the tab, the user will just press the "Refresh" button and the tab will be automatically refreshed according to currently assigned Date range Preset/Template.
admin  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:06:25 PM(UTC)
admin

I finally found some time to reply. So don't think we are ignoring you, these kind of threads take their time and if they are not urgent we reply when we can.
Truthfully, I think all your suggestions are good and if we had an unlimited amount of time we would implement them all. But we don't and we have to work on stuff which we think matters.

Let me explain a bit about how we pick features for the next releases.
First we look at all the bugs of the previous version. This is probably about 30% of work. So either fix bugs or find some way to make functionality better.
Then there are user requests, and this is just by the amount of requests. So for example date range for each tab, you are the first one to suggest it. If we take the latest version as an example, the two new features are Tag editor and some way to split away time, both were requested by a number of users.
The third part are changes to the way MT works, or groundwork for the changes we want to make in the future versions. So usually these are not features, but more like for example moving MT to .Net 4, changing the way Tracker and MT are communicating, server version ....
We pick these so it is about 2 months of work, in the end it always ends up being 3 or 4 months. The features you are requesting fall into the second part, user requests. If, lets say 4 more users will suggest the same thing, it will be implemented in the next version. If not, then we will probably work on it the next time we work on statistics.

There is one topic that which you mentioned, and I am pretty sensitive about, and that is UI. We think a lot about making MT as simple as we can and if there is anything we think will make the experience simpler we will work on it if not immediately, then in the next version. It wouldn't be a bad thing to open a sticky thread about things that confuse users and I would also love to hear all the things which you found hard when you first used MT. You might also convince me that all the features you requested fall into simpler UI category and so trick us into working on them right away :)
stevenp  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:35:07 PM(UTC)
stevenp

Thanks for sharing the workflow and of course I understand that there are priorities in development.
There's nothing urgent in my suggestions and it's great that you find them good for some next release.
Most suggested changes are UI-related and they're really boost simplicity like in modern browsers aka Google Chrome :)
Currently I have no more suggestions, everything else is implemented in a logical and simple way. Keep up with the great work!
stevenp  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:34:10 AM(UTC)
stevenp

I want to say that the new version is amazing!
Statistics wasn't touched yet, windows dialogs size/position not remembered, Color Hex code cannot be pasted, etc. but -
* Away-Time splitting is Awesome!
* Tag Editor is Brilliant!
Great work!
admin  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:30:13 AM(UTC)
admin

Edit bug in statistics and Color hex code were fixed, will be in next version, 2.2.

Window positions and statistics will have to wait.
stevenp  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:45:04 PM(UTC)
stevenp

Finally licensed ManicTime
I am all pending for the innovations in Statistics, especially tabs reorganization and sorting columns
Thanks!
stevenp  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:23:25 PM(UTC)
stevenp

one more thing in the Chart view - in items pop-up list - at least a space should be added between the two columns "Name Time". This happens with long-named items. See screenshot
stevenp attached the following image(s):
columns.jpg (30kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
stevenp  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2012 1:59:23 PM(UTC)
stevenp

Updated to the long-awaited v2.2 finally!
Finally Statistics are touched! Most of the time about 90% of time in ManicTime UI is spent in Statistics Tab, that's why it is so important for me.

I would like to summarize what is done so far regarding Statistics.
* Each Tab have a Property - Date Range Preset - not yet
* Reorganize tabs, like in Browsers, e.g. Firefox, Chrome, IE, Opera. - not yet
* Sort items by name, filter, timeline, time - DONE, but now there's no way to remove sorting
* Reorganize (drag'n'drop) items in the list of items (Tags/Apps/Docs) - not yet
* A "#" column (item number) could be added to allow sorting Manually (or remove sorting), or a command "Remove Sorting" in Column Header context menu - not yet
* Columns width not remembered after restarting ManicTime (every time we have to expand the Name column, then contract the Filter column in order to see the Totals columns) - not yet
* Window Size and Position of the Dialog with Items is not remembered - not yet
* No way to add Auto-Tags to Statistics page - no
* After changing a Color in the Day View, the Color is not updated in the Statistics page. When editing an Item, in the dialog where we pick items near the color chip - there could be a button to update/refresh the color from Day View - not yet
* The Hex code for color cannot be Pasted, only Copying works. - DONE!
* After renaming an Item in Statistics View and pressing Enter key the item is not renamed. I have to use mouse to press OK button, otherwise it is not renamed - not anymore - it is FIXED!
* Simple check box which will check/uncheck all the checkboxes - DONE! Thanks!
* In Chart view - in items list pop-up - a space should be added between the two columns "Name _ Time" - not yet
* Additional "Comment/Description" column - not yet

Thanks for your efforts!

Edited by user Friday, March 2, 2012 2:10:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified