Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Michi  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 5, 2014 6:15:25 AM(UTC)
Michi

Switzerland

Hi

First of all ManicTime is a great software. We love it!
At this time we evaluate it for our whole company to make our time tracking with ManicTime.
Right now we have two licences for the pro version and I think we will buy some more for our staff.

To deploy it to our other employees we have to implement a two way sync with our current Access time tracking software. This is needed because we create our bills and our statistics directly with it.

Synchronisation from ManicTime to Access works without any problems. But I don't understand how I can add some tags/activities from Access to ManicTime. In your Sample on GitHub I found a feature to update activities.
- But how can I add new activities?
- Where can I get next free ActivityID?
- How can I get all GroupLists and all groups to know their ID?
- How does it works with updateTimestamp? When increment it?

If we add a new Tag in ManicTime the start and the end time are too accurate. Is it possible to define a threshold of 5 or 10 minutes and if we add a new tag by hand ManicTime could round to this threshold. Or is there already an option to activate this?

Kind regards
Michael
admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 6, 2014 1:58:29 PM(UTC)
admin

Hi,

We did not document the whole process of publishing a timeline, editing activities .... Its all open, but for most of our customers its to complicated so we only documented the simpler parts.

Before we move to technical details, can I ask a few questions to get a feel how your system works?
From what I gather:
You can successfully move tags to Access.
The tags you want to write back, are these edits or new tags?
Would you like to inject them to an existing Tag timeline or some new timeline?
Could you round the tags in Access?
Or is this what you are trying to do and then update the start and end time back to ManicTime?

Currently you can't restrict to enter a tag rounded to some duration. We were thinking about this, but it made sense to only round the timesheet. You still keep all the accuracy internally, but then round when you make a report.

Regards,

Andrej
Michi  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 6, 2014 6:26:52 PM(UTC)
Michi

Switzerland

Hi Andrej

Thank you for your post.

In our old access tool we have projects with subprojects. With my current implementation of the sync tool I convert this to TagCombinations (ex. Project, SubProject). Access is master and this should only work one way (Access --> ManicTime). We only allow server tags.

My requirement is to add new activities or edit it on Access or ManicTime (Two way sync on activities). Create and edit should work.

At the moment all of our employees has a own timeline. My sync tool is a windows service that sync all activities for all our employees.

Yes I can round the Tags when I sync it to access and write it back to manictime.

Regards

Michael
admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 7, 2014 9:58:24 PM(UTC)
admin

Currently you will not be able to write a two way sync. The server does not support this. Only one writer is supported per timeline, and of course multiple readers.

We are working on a version where you a user will only have one tag timeline and it will be shared across all installations. There you will be able to do this.

Could you maybe forbid any changes to Access, so user must make changes in MT, then just import the data and round in the final reports in access?
Michi  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:25:13 AM(UTC)
Michi

Switzerland

A two way sync is not first prority.

I think one way sync (MT --> Access) should be enough at the moment.
Is there there a documentation how it works with the updatetimestamp?
admin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:59:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Here is what we suggest you do:
Make requests for tags from start date to some end date in the future, for example from lets say today to 1/1/2020.

Part of the response is the update url which will be something like
<link rel="manictime/updatedactivities" href="http://your server:8081/timelines/67/activities?fromTime=2014-07-08T00:00:00&amp;toTime=2020-01-01T00:00:00&amp;updatedAfterTimestamp=39096" />

Then everytime you want updates just call this url, you will get updates from the last request on.

The url is the same, only updatestamp is appended.

Its a shame we did not better prepare for this scenario, since the whole database is structured around changes. We will try to expose changes in the upcoming versions.