Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vipaware  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:20:17 PM(UTC)
vipaware

Documents from Photoshop are not tracking/appearing in Documents timeline. Photoshop version that I use is 12.0.4 x32. I'm not sure why, so I'm currently using my custom title parser to track documents for PS like this:
Code:
photoshop    (.*?) @ .*$

Let me know if you need further assistance in plugin testing as I would like to use original plugin, instead of my custom title parser.

Love MT, it's my top5 app that is most used this week so far, lol.
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 11:39:12 AM(UTC)
admin

I think we might actually go your way in the next version. The way we are trying to get to the filename most likely doesn't work with all versions and since photoshop is not a free app it is difficult for us to test it.
vipaware  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 27, 2011 7:27:48 PM(UTC)
vipaware

I've downloaded "ManicTimePluginTester_v1_4" and compiled my own photoshop plugin using regex I suggested earlier. Here is a code that does actual window title parsing:
Code:
private string GetFilename(ApplicationInfo application)
{
// photoshop title looks like 'filename @ (ZoomLevel)% (LayerName, ColorMode)'.
// We are only after the first part, before the AT sign.
Match match = Regex.Match(application.WindowTitle, @"^(.*?) @ .*$");
if (match.Success)
{
return match.Groups[1].Value;
}
return null;
}

The output dll is only 5kb, and it works fine with tester. However, it's not working with ManicTime. Let me know if plugin interface is changed in 1.5.3 since this tester package looks outdated a bit.
I would like to provide some more plugins, for most adobe products just for starters.

However, there is another insight about CustomTitle plugin. It does a great job so well that I don't really know why we need separate plugins for each app. Plugins are much harder to maintain, longer to produce, etc. While CustomTitle rules are quick to update and work completely fine. You would have one big CustomTitle.txt with original rules installed within Program Files and one CustomTitle.txt in user folder, for user rules (which is preserved during program update). That would make separate plugins unnecessary. Our job would be just to maintain this one big CustomTitle.txt rules of Program Files, then anyone would have rare times creating their own rules.
Is there a serious reason to keep separate plugins?

Let me know, as I would like to assist with Documents Timeline.
Love MT!
admin  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 12:22:39 AM(UTC)
admin

I'll check if we made any changes to the plugin interface and let you know.
Custom title plugin was built exactly for the scenario you are describing, so where you can get the document name from the title. In your case it is the same as if you just use custom title plugin, so my suggestion would be to just write the regex in CustomTitle.
You can also just delete the Plugins.Photoshop.dll file from Plugins subfolder since it is not working, and write a rule in CustomTitle.

Plugins are necessary when the data you want to extract is not part of the title. Browsers for example don't have url as part of the title so we cant use CustomTitle in this case.

This thread might also help
http://forum.manictime.c...t.aspx?g=posts&m=366
vipaware  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 2:06:49 AM(UTC)
vipaware

Lame me! I was so proud of CustomTitle, that I totally forgot about browsers (though, I see and analyse my browsing stats all the time)! You're totally right.
Still, CustomTitle is very powerful and will suit for most apps, I guess. I think, most adobe and office plugins (dlls) could be removed, but added as CustomTitle rules. Was there a reason to support those apps (besides browsers, of course) in a form of separate plugins?
I also think it would be nice to start a general thread for common CustomTitle rules. That's where they would be suggested by users, tested over several major versions of that app, and added to "official" CustomTitle.txt (the one installed in Program Files dir). This should grow in a really bigger file to suit most users, as not everyone understand what regex is. The only default notepad CustomTitle rule is nice, but it's still not enough for regular user to start coding. It should grow!
Maybe even have a CustomTitle rules maintainer or something. I would be one for starter. My point is Documents timeline is important, and by now it's just a very narrow list of supported apps.

That thread is awesome! There is a lot of rules already! However, I don't use a half of those apps, and I already wrote some critical rules for apps I use most (several adobe apps, flashdevelop, notepad++, mpc-hc/mpc-hc64, etc).
Hey, that thread could be the general thread I mentioned! I will add my rules in there when I feel they're complete. At current I tend to add and edit my rules several times during the day.

And thank you for quick responses! You're doing a great productivity tool!
Love MT!
admin  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 12:17:40 PM(UTC)
admin

The only reason for the office apps is that they extract the full path, not just the document name. With full path or URLs you can double click an entry in MT and it will open it in default app.
But some people have problems with office plugins so it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove them and use the title parsing option.

When you are done, just put the rules in the thread I mentioned so they are all in one location.