Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
VisCircle  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 2:16:08 PM(UTC)
VisCircle

Germany

We need some other features for time tracking our employees.

In the ManicTime client there is a VERY BAD security failure. The employees can not edit the setting. OK. But they can click on open/add timelines from other employees and also change the server settings there! Thats a function that should be only accessible by the Admin.
Also there is the *.xml file in %appdata% that can be modyfied by the users.

Also we need the ability to hide the timelines for applications and documents for the employees but not for the administrator.

We were close to using this tool in our company but then realized this problems. If they will be fixed one day, we would love to use ManicTime.

Best Regards!

admin  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 3:42:54 PM(UTC)
admin

On the server, you need to create ManicTime.exe.config, described here
http://www.manictime.com...h-preconfigured-settings

This file is then deployed and copied to Program files/ManicTime, which normal user can not access. Settings in this file take precedence over the settings in .xml file in AppData.

Once you set server settings in this file, users will not be able to change it. On the server by default each user can only see his/her own timelines, so I don't understand how they can see data from other users.
VisCircle  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 9:26:22 AM(UTC)
VisCircle

Germany

Hi,

first of all: Thank you very much for the fast reply!

I'm glad to hear that the ettings in the "appdata".xml are ignored when we ue an "install".xml.

I also figured out the "BUG" I've reported.

If you make a "install".xml file where the server is on a remote machine with a dyndns adress you will have a problem with userlogin. Because the users are not in a Domain.
But how to configure the clients serversetting if the user dont have the permissions to do that?

The first "install".xml we made was with the server DYN-DNS-URL but no permissions for the users to change the settings. We got an permission denied error by trying to login to the server, because there was no such user of course. Then we made a "install".xml without the server URL. After a repair installation you get the permissions to change the server settings but only at the section by adding new timelines from server.

So we installed ManicTime now by making a "install".xml with permissions to change settings an after we set the userdata we make a repair installation with a "install".xml without these permissions. Then everything is fine.

But there is still the problem with hiding the Documents and Application Timeline. Is it possible somehow?
admin  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:35:34 PM(UTC)
admin

I still don't quite understand how you are using it.
You have a server, and some clients which send data to the server. Do these clients send data under different users, or do all of them send data as the same user?
Hide Apps and Docs timeline, you mean hide it on the server?
VisCircle  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 7:34:15 PM(UTC)
VisCircle

Germany

With hiding docs and apps timeline I mean the client. Wie dont want the users to know that apps and docs are tracked too.
admin  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 10:17:06 AM(UTC)
admin

On the client the only option is to set the password. This way they can't open the app.
VisCircle  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 10:55:38 AM(UTC)
VisCircle

Germany

Hmm but that way they wont be able to work with tags. ;(
admin  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 2:35:50 PM(UTC)
admin

If I understand you correctly, you don't want to hide Apps and Docs timeline, I mean they are useful for tagging?
VisCircle  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 3:30:21 PM(UTC)
VisCircle

Germany

:D

Yes the apps and docs timeline are without doubt usefull for tagging your work in the end of the day.

We have some projects for wich we made some tags on our server. The employees should use this tags if they start working on a project.

For our emloyeess the apps and docs timeline is to much privacy that is tracked.
But if there is no possibility to hide the timelines in the client they will just have to deal with it. :)

We will test the free trial now for two weeks an then we will decide what to do.

Thank you for your help and please excuse my bad english. :)
admin  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 3:34:10 PM(UTC)
admin

So you can track Docs and Apps on the client and they can use it to enter tags. You have that now.

Then when you are publishing on the server, you can disable publishing of Apps and Docs.
Server will work fine with just Tags and Computer usage. And if I understand you correctly users will be happy if you do not track them?
VisCircle  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 3:45:21 PM(UTC)
VisCircle

Germany

Yes I think that will be the only possibility we can offer to our employees. But they still don't like the tracking. :)