Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
je64us  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:53:50 PM(UTC)
je64us

Sometimes I forget to start the stopwatch. The ability to back-time a stopwatch start to a time or to the end of the most recent tag would be useful.

Additionally, sometime I have a delay between when I click "Start Stopwatch" and when I pick the tags. it would be useful if the stopwatch could start as soon as I click the button, even if I have not yet pick the tags.
admin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2013 8:17:38 PM(UTC)
admin

You can easily resize the tag once you stop the stopwatch. Just click on it and drag to the left.

One thing you could use instead of stopwatch is Tag last untagged time.
http://www.manictime.com...4#tag-last-untagged-time

Its like a reverse stopwatch, use it when you finish a task.

As for the stopwatch I think there should be an option to choose a tag at the end, so when you click Stop. We had this one on our todo list for ages now, it just never makes it to the top. Would this help?
je64us  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:21:39 PM(UTC)
je64us

1. Amazing. Amazing product. Amazing support. Just ... amazing.

2. I might still like to start a stopwatch at an earlier time and have it run until stopped, but I'll play with the options provided and see how I feel. The biggest issue for me is forgetting to change the stopwatch when I change tasks, so I'd like to be able to push a start backwards into a previous stopwatch's recorded time.

3. Yes, tagging at the end could work.
admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 10:42:56 PM(UTC)
admin

1. Thanks, means a lot :)
2. How do you envision this would work?
je64us  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 6:12:35 PM(UTC)
je64us

So I see it as start the stopwatch and have an option to set it's start time in the past, with a text box or maybe a time selection list. Alternatively, if that is not filled in, then maybe a check-box for "start stopwatch at the end of the last task".

A similar item I saw today would be the ability to drag a stop for 1 task together with the start for the next task if they are at essentially the same time (maybe within 60 seconds.

All of these items are because I don't do a good job changing tasks, and end up for instance 10 minutes into a meeting saying "darn, I changed tasks and did not update Manic Time".
davidem  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2013 6:15:40 PM(UTC)
davidem

I had issues using stopwatch, too. Essentially, I am not disciplined enough to leverage it well. I'm glad it's there, but I don't really use it. I don't think there is a technical solution revolving around the stopwatch itself.

What I did to address this was simply to tag after the fact. Between tracking the application/activities that typically correspond to meetings (Cisco MeetingPlace or WebEx), and showing my Outlook calendar on the timeline, I'm able to get a pretty good approximation of things like meetings (For what it's worth, being able to show my PBX phone log would fill out that picture ~90%.) I make that job a little easier with autotags, which I then promote to proper tags when I get around to looking things over.

davidem  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2013 6:22:44 PM(UTC)
davidem

As to the request, though, as a limited user of the stopwatch, I didn't understand what he was asking for until I tried it out again. It seems that existing functionality can't address what he needs (back-dating the start at the time he actually starts it) is because the stopwatch doesn't show anything on the Tag timeline until after it is stopped.

If it started showing a tag right away, then the user could adjust the start time backward as desired using the current drag-to-extend feature, which meshes fairly well with jumping to other time boundaries ("start stopwatch at the end of the last task", etc), as it does now for regular tags.
admin  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2013 7:51:55 PM(UTC)
admin

That PBX log you mentioned, if you can make it into something like this, you could import it. We could also enhance the custom timeline if there is interest.

http://www.manictime.com...lient/27/custom-timeline
davidem  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2013 9:02:20 PM(UTC)
davidem

yeah, I'm familiar with the custom timeline option. The trick would be exposing what I able able to access in a structured XML, and non-interactive way.

Previously I had asked about a way to have ManicTime query into an SQL database (I provide the query to map onto field names that you consume). That was for when I had direct access to the call record DB.

Now, any such logs available to me online would be via a web page to which I would have to supply credentials interactively.