Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
moumst  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 1:33:06 PM(UTC)
moumst

It would be nice if we can organize tags in a hierarchical manner instead of actual flat tags organization.

Management of tags would be easier specifically for reuse or for new insertions within a group of existing tags.

Cheers,

Moumst

admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 2:06:50 PM(UTC)
admin

You mean, to be able to use one of the lower tags to imply the whole chain? If these are my tags:
Project 1, Activity 1
Project 2, Activity 2

If I tag with Activity 2, the whole chain "Project 2, Activity 2" is used?

We are slowly moving towards hierarchical tags.
Timesheet uses the order of tags for hierarchy.

We are working on tag editor for the next version. Still wont support hierarchical tags, but you will be able to edit them much more easily.

So hopefully in a few iterations we will get to them.
moumst  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 1:49:25 PM(UTC)
moumst

Thanks to take care of my suggestions.

Your understanding is correct but not complete.

Actually if I create the following tags one day for a given time slice:

- Project 1, Activity 1, Activity 2, Activity 3

I can sure tag other time slices with all or a subset of the tags already created.

Now suppose I want to add a new activity to this tag set. I select the "all" links of the set, add a comma and enter "Activity 4". As a result I expect to get :

- Project 1, Activity 1, Activity 2, Activity 3, Activity 4

The final result I got is effectively a new set a described above + a duplicated set that represents the old set......

- Project 1, Activity 1, Activity 2, Activity 3
- Project 1, Activity 1, Activity 2, Activity 3, Activity 4

I for sure expect having only 1 set, the same one but modified.

Hierarchical organization and the editor that comes with (treeview I mean) would ensure having only one editable set of tags. And as you correctly understand selecting one subnode will automatically/implicitely tag the parent node. It will be more easier to select "all or nothing" tags for a branch as well as only a subset of tags. More you can easily group subtags within hierarchy so having subgroups of activity. Taging can be done at any level of the hierarchy (we can tag with any node of the hierarchy including root node and not only leaves - if root node or subnode is checked, it also implies taging with all subnodes until branch leaves).

So knowing you are working on tag editor with possibility to update them instead of making a entire copy of the set is already a good news ;-)

Hierarchical editor would be sure better... wait and see ;-)

Best regards

BillB  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2011 5:56:17 PM(UTC)
BillB

Looking forward to the Tag editor - we've wanted it for a long time. Will there be any way to share or import/export Tags? That would give us important consistency when logging and reporting time across groups of users.
admin  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:29:04 AM(UTC)
admin

Version 2.1 is on the site. We will show it as autoupdate in a week or so, once we are sure we didn't miss something. To upgrade manually you just download setup and run it.

For now you can only do rename. I'll add import/export of tags on our todo list for the next version.
davidem  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 6:52:35 PM(UTC)
davidem

I would also like to see hierarchical tags, but a variant of what is described above:

I imagine the tags which are hierarchical are expressed in this form:

Client1/Project2/Task4

but other tags, which can appear in any order, and can be mixed and matched, delimited with commas, as now.
the slashes would make it obvious that they are part of a hierarchy, and not just standalone tags

so:

for a single activities:

Client1/Project3/Task11, research, consulting w/ colleagues
Client1/Project2/Task4, Production Support, configuration

Client2/Project1/Task5, design, research

I would like the option to designate that there can only be a single entry from each "hierarchy" for a single activity, so that I cannot specify Client1/Project3/Task11 and Client1/Project2 and Client2/Project1 for the same activity. In this case, so I can't "double bill".
admin  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 9:25:44 AM(UTC)
admin

Hm, in my mind hierarhical tags are just tags with some predefined structure. You could still double tag time. Well, we could add it as an option, to allow to double tag or not.

But we could do the same already with normal tags...

I'd say what you are describing is more of a second tag timeline feature, which I think you already wrote about in some other topic.
davidem  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 3:50:48 PM(UTC)
davidem

yes, they'd be alternative approaches. I don't know which would be easier to achieve overall. What I like about what I described here is that it is transparent which elements are part of a hierarchy, which cannot overlap, and which are just standalone, etc, and which makes for easier reporting.