Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rrhode  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:45:56 PM(UTC)
rrhode

I have been using Linux for a few years now. I don't think of any applications I miss from when I used to use windows other than ManicTime. I miss it every single day.

The best thing I can find for Linux (Hamster) simply does not come close to ManicTime. I just had to come here and let you know how awesome this thing is in comparison. I stopped using it just before it got a Pro version I think, but I haven't stopped wishing it worked on Linux. I know you don't have any plans to make a Linux or Mac version any time soon and it would be a lot of work. But I just wanted to say I miss you ManicTime! You rock!
admin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:49:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Its amazing that it had such an impact on you. I hope it is not just romanticizing the past syndrome :).

If I remember correctly you had a lot of problems with Vista and you decided to just go with Linux. Other than the lack of MT, how is Linux working out?

I hope we get to the Linux version at some point. When we do I promise you will be the first one to find out.
rrhode  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:07:05 PM(UTC)
rrhode

Yes you are right, good memory! I did not like Vista too much. I think its probably a bit better these days but it's still windows.

It had such an impact because being able to just start working and not having to worry about starting my timer or stopping it or even worrying about what I was working on or for who I was working for was just awesome. Being able to come back later and tagging things... it's perfect! There is nothing better. At least not that I can find anyway and I did look for quite some time. Once I got so used to using ManicTime and then not having it nearly makes me want to start using windows again.

Linux is great, works perfect for me for doing web development and whatnot. Using Fedora at the moment but I tried all sorts of different distros until I settled on this one.

It's exciting to hear you might make a Linux version! I would pay double the price for it. I missed ManicTime so much I even started trying to make something myself but didn't get too far. I made something to recognize window titles and whatnot. It only worked in KDE at the time which I don't even use now and I gave up on it pretty quickly. But it did actually track the window titles and store them in a database with the time. So it is possible at least. I don't know if it would have worked in gnome or other environments or not but maybe.
bfactor  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2011 8:59:15 PM(UTC)
bfactor

Please develop ManicTime for Linux (I use Ubuntu). ManicTime is really one of a kind, I have not found an application that does automatic tracking like ManicTime. I prefer to use Ubuntu instead of Windows because I'm a software developer (and it's easier to use command line in Ubuntu).
I would pay for a professional license if ManicTime was available on Linux.
davidem  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 8:51:21 PM(UTC)
davidem

Depending upon what kind of access you need to your linux env, as a stopgap, maybe you (the wanting linux users) could use ManicTime from a separate Windows box which serves as little more than an X Windows Server terminal.

I'm assuming that there is some Windows X-Server that will properly convey the window titles of your various remote linux application to the Windows desktop. Combined with the window title parsing capability in ManicTime, you may even be able to extract some "Document" info. It would also not seem to be limited to use on Linux, but SunOS, HP, whatever.

Aesthetically displeasing as I'm sure it would be, maybe even from a unix-based Mac, too? :)
rrhode  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 30, 2013 8:50:57 AM(UTC)
rrhode

Hey, I still miss this app. I can't stand not being able to just tag my time. Have you guys made any progress in the linux world?

X11 can definitely get the window titles. I did it before and had them storing in a MySQL database I think. Maybe it was just a text file, I can't remember. I don't know where the script is anymore but I might be able to dig it up. It was just a BASH script. I don't know how I could translate that into a working version properly but if that is the only hope then that is better than nothing.

Maybe it would be possible to do what you are saying with the windows on another machine (or even just a virtual machine). But obviously would be nice to have it in Linux. I wonder if some language like Java or Python would be good so it was cross platform.

Thanks for your time =)
admin  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:13:07 PM(UTC)
admin

I think/hope we should have something on linux by the end of the year...
mihu  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2013 2:30:45 PM(UTC)
mihu

Great news! Can't wait for it.

I couldn't agree more with rrhode. Ever since I have moved to Linux I was missing ManicTime a lot. Although I'm otherwise very satisfied with Linux, I'm every now and then I'm considering to return to Linux just to have ManicTime back. From time to time I was checking if there are any new about a possible Linux version and it made my day to find out that there is. Since I'm a student, I probably wouldn't pay double, but I would definitely buy a professional license unlike when I was using it on Windows.
75th  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:19:43 PM(UTC)
75th

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post

Please tell me that this applies to Mac OS X as well.
amenthes  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:21:49 PM(UTC)
amenthes

+1 for the linux crowd.

I've got three years of history in my Manic Time Pro Database. I'd love to continue using it.
amenthes  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2014 10:57:35 AM(UTC)
amenthes

I would love to hear if there has been any progress regarding the linux version. ManicTime is now literally the last thing that makes me use windows.
admin  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 10:33:29 AM(UTC)
admin

We have some, lets say alpha, version running on Mac. For now its just a tracker sending data to the client. Once we get it to release quality, we will try to port the same thing to linux as well.

We will see what we can do about the UI once we have the trackers running. There doesn't seem to be any good cross platform UI frameworks. For us Mono would obviously be the best choice, but it seems that lately the team is mostly focused on mobile. We'll see how it goes.
donarturo  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 2:22:04 PM(UTC)
donarturo

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post

How are the plans going with the linux version? I am also eagerly waiting.
jxt  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 3:31:00 PM(UTC)
jxt

I suggest to buy the windows version to support the development and then to ask for MAC/linux versions. If 100 users buy MT, only 5 will buy linux/mac version so i think the development focus should be Windows version!
donarturo  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2014 3:40:46 PM(UTC)
donarturo

@jxt:
I am a paying client already and bought the Windows version a while ago. Now, since I changed to Linux, ManicTime is the application I miss most!
75th  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:57:33 PM(UTC)
75th

Quote:
If 100 users buy MT, only 5 will buy linux/mac version

Citation needed. Mac users have a much greater propensity to pay good money for good software than Windows users, who tend to seek free alternatives (which, on Windows, are more often as good as or better than the paid stuff). And a smaller percentage of Linux people will pay exorbitant amounts to ensure that good software makes it to Linux at all. One source for this is Humble Indie Bundle statistics, where the average Mac payment is significantly higher than Windows, and the Linux average is even higher than the Mac, probably thanks to activist contributors who pay upwards of $1000 to make the leaderboard.

I'm not sure how well the Linux thing will translate to ManicTime, but I would bet money that ManicTime can do better than 5% Mac version sales, especially if their Mac version is a high-quality native Cocoa app.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:58:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

amenthes  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:03:50 PM(UTC)
amenthes

Thanks, jxt, for the suggestion. I did what you proposed. Three years ago. I also tried renewing it twice, since.
amenthes  
#18 Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2014 11:35:10 AM(UTC)
amenthes

The sad part is: i can get most of the _DATA_ i would need. A simple line like this

Quote:
# while true; do xdotool getwindowname `xdotool getactivewindow`; sleep 1; done

will list all the windowtitles (and a lot more, look at man xdotool for further info). All i would need is a CSV import Into Manictime. Then i could use its superb user interface for tagging.

Can we PLEASE at least get something like a database import? I do not much care how crude this would be. I'm sure, i could manage. But it's better than abandoning manictime altogether.
admin  
#19 Posted : Saturday, April 5, 2014 12:23:07 PM(UTC)
admin

But then you would still need windows to view the data?
amenthes  
#20 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 9:03:49 AM(UTC)
amenthes

I am not against windows at all. I'm just preferring linux for my current day-to-day work. I have a windows computer handy as well, and i'm running a VM'd windows in the background most of the time anyway.

Collecting data along the day (or for a few days, even) then importing/tagging it would be less than ideal, but still better than NO manictime at all.
2 Pages12>