Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidem  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 12:14:29 AM(UTC)
davidem

another feature request topic shed some light on how manictime treats items in the document timeline (and thus other timelines, too, but I'm specifically interested in Document timeline treatment). I think a useful feature can be implementeted without major overhaul of the way ManicTime stores its data.

It was explained that each event stores the "group" and the "title". For web sites, it treats the "group" as the site/host root, and the "title" as the complete url. We can currently only see summaries by site, not by page/title/url.

Currently when Documents are captured with CustomTitle (or other methods, like for microsoft office, e.g.), it captures the file/document as the 'group', rather than the title - at least this is how it appears to me, since when I filter by a "document", the filter line says "group=<docname>".

if the day summary provided summaries grouped by group, then by title as well (two levels), where it now only allows by group, then manictime could capture both the group (where applicable) and the title from an app, and we could still see summary of what is now captured in the document timeline (the document name for non-websites, the site for websites) without altering your data model, but provide the alternate breakdowns to those who have asked for it.

To capture both the group and document title from the same window title, the CustomTitle parsing could be augmented to support named or numbered capture groups in a single regex (one for the group, the other for the title), or two separate regex search expressions per app config line to capture each. The latter may be easier for users to understand. Your pick.

Actually, the multi-tier aggregating summary view would also serve (partially, at least), a similar request to show the document with the application. You previously mentioned that consolidating the application and document timelines would entail a data model change. You could give an in-kind features, and see what the users think, before embarking on a change to your model.
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 9:29:13 AM(UTC)
admin

So the way it currently works is this.

On the top we have timelines. Each timeline has a number of activities, each is also a part of a group.

In DB terms we can say that group - activities relationship is one to many.

Group can be anything, it doesn't need to relate with title of activity.

For example on Apps timeline, groups are apps, they have name, icon, executable filename, version info of the executable...
Each activity is part of one group, activity contains stuff like title, start, end time....

Documents timeline works in the same way. Group and activity can be two totaly different things, it is up to the plugins to sort this out. For example Visual studio plugin, on the left(activity title) - will be a list of documents, on the right, group - will be solution name.

We could for example create a web plugin which would show urls as activities and IPs as groups.

Custom title plugin is simpler in this regard, it will just take the one match and apply the same value to both the group and activity.

We can change this, we could add two named capturing groups, 'activity' and 'group'. If the match has them use them, if not just take the first match. Would that be ok?

To which title would you apply this?

Edited by user Friday, March 16, 2012 9:39:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

davidem  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 10:48:19 PM(UTC)
davidem

If I understand your last question correctly, I think the "first match", if it can only find one, should be extracted as the both the 'group' and 'activity' titles, so as to maintain the current behavior. (I'm assuming that's what it does now. Either that, or it is just collecting the 'group', and not the activity, or vice versa, and uncollected one gets populated with the other value automatically whenever it is empty. either way).

While such an enhancement to the CustomTitle plugin would certainly be a necessary step for what I am asking, for my purposes, though, I wouldn't change how I extract the using the customtitle plugin with such a feature without the ability to group simultaneously by both the 'group' and 'activity' in the summary pane.

If I could rename this thread, then, using the correct terminology, it would be "day summary by 'group' and 'activity'". So I'd like the summary pane (on the right, whatever you call it) to allow me to aggregate times by either or both fields:

so, three views:
Group
Activity
Group, Activity

for multi-field groupings, show totals for Group in its own row, with the Activity groupings tiered under that, just as you do with manually created folders. the upper tiers should be collapsible, as now.

P.S.
I actually wasn't aware of how the VisualStudio plugin behaved, I had not used VS yet under ManicTime. As it stands now, without the additional summary pane feature I described, I would actually prefer that the file name (with or without the solution/project) be collected as the 'group', because that is what I am interested in summing by in the summary pane. I don't know if I could achieve that by disabling the VS plugin, and just use the current customtitle plugin. Or maybe the VS plugin is configurable in that regard.

admin  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 8:46:58 PM(UTC)
admin

You mentioned in another thread that you usually just copy paste the url or document to Filter. I guess you do this because this is not summed up in Groups part.
Why do you do this? Could you explain some more how this helps. I noticed these explanations help us a lot when we are planning new features.

I think we will just give you access to the plugin code and you can then decide what a group is by yourself.
davidem  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 8:59:51 PM(UTC)
davidem

I'm not recalling offhand where I described doing this. If you know, I will review what I mentioned and elaborate, else I'll have to dig around. It sounds like something I would use in the advanced search, but perhaps not. It sounds like something I might not do much any more, given how I now collect Document timeline data more comprehensively.

The fact is, I don't actively "use" ManicTime that much - this is a good thing. Mostly I just let it collect. I do my work review and billing only periodically, and have spent the time to refine the data that ManicTime collects as I go. It's not going to take a ton of more feature changes to allow it to be a mostly completely passive process - the ideal end goal. :)
admin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:57:48 AM(UTC)
admin

I meant this
http://forum.manictime.c...r-individual-events.aspx

You mentioned it before, basically filtering by title. I assume this is related to groups by title...
olliebean  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:31:56 PM(UTC)
olliebean

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Custom title plugin is simpler in this regard, it will just take the one match and apply the same value to both the group and activity.

We can change this, we could add two named capturing groups, 'activity' and 'group'. If the match has them use them, if not just take the first match. Would that be ok?

Was anything like this ever implemented? I'd find it very useful to be able to capture separate values for 'activity' and 'group' using the custom title plugin.
admin  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:50:18 AM(UTC)
admin

No, but we can add it.

How about if we do it like this
[process name] TAB [group regex] TAB [activity regex]

If there is only one regex we use it for group and activity. Would that be ok?
olliebean  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:14:45 AM(UTC)
olliebean

Yes, that would be ideal.
admin  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:16:39 AM(UTC)
admin

Here you go. Exit MT (right click MT icon, Exit)

Go to Program files/ManicTime/Plugins

Unzip attached files to this folder.
Run MT.

In CustomTitle.txt I changed the Notepad plugin as an example. Group should be first word in a filename (if there is a space in there)

Lets say you open 'some doc.txt' with notepad, then group will be some, activity will be 'some doc.txt'

I also updated help a bit in CustomTitle.txt.

One more thing. Whatever you change inside Program files will be overwritten next time you upgrade MT. To keep your changes, in MT click on Tools - Adv - Open db folder.
Inside this folder, create folder Plugins. Copy CustomTitle.txt file in there, then change it there. This file will not be touched when you upgrade and MT first looks in this folder for plugins, before it loads the ones in Program files.

Let me know if you need anything else. Changes will be in the next version as well.

File Attachment(s):
CustomTitle.zip (8kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:26:40 AM(UTC)
admin

One last thing, the CustomTitle.txt you copy to [Db]/Plugins, its best if you remove all its contents and just add your own rules.

I'll add on our todo list that MT generates this empty file. The way it currently works is:

It will load all rules from this folder, then it will load the rest from Program files.

So keep only your rules in here, and all the rules we update will also be used.

Does this makes sense?
olliebean  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:02:25 PM(UTC)
olliebean

Yes, that all makes sense. Thanks for implementing this so quickly. The new custom title plugin works perfectly.
davidem  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2013 10:12:40 PM(UTC)
davidem

excellent!
davidem  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2013 11:12:22 PM(UTC)
davidem

any liklihood of getting the multi-level aggregating in the day view, which was the original topic for this thread?
davidem  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:59:25 PM(UTC)
davidem

is this on the radar at all (hierarchical aggregating in the day view by both the captured group and title/activity)?