Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Herventure  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2010 6:47:02 PM(UTC)
Herventure

Hi,

I think that ManicTime needs to have auto-tagging rules capability: once some program is activated (i.e., excel.exe), then some tag is automatically assigned for the period excel.exe is active.

Rules containing program and window names with wildcards would let us save a lot of time by not having to add tags manually.

I guess it would be fairly easy to develop.

Thanks for your time!
admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 10:12:21 AM(UTC)
admin

We have been working on auto tagging on and off for the past 8 months I think. And its not as easy as it seems.
I think I've made quite a few promises that it would be ready for v1.3 and it wasn't. We tried a few times but it was never good enough.
So now I will only promise that we will be working on it and we will release it as soon as we are satisfied with it.

While we are working on it, we can use this thread to discuss any ideas you guys might have about how this should work.
ElaborateRuse  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 8:37:27 AM(UTC)
ElaborateRuse

Hi there, I wanted to stop in to say that I just checked out MT and it is really great.

As for auto tagging, I came looking in this forum to see if anyone has brought this up, because it's essentially the only thing I can see as missing in the software at first glance. As some of the competing products have recognized, it is advantageous to be able to mark documents, folders and/or windows that should automatically be associated with a particular tag or some data structure that allows me to say "How much time did I spend on Project X?"

From a user standpoint, a use case that really resonates with me is being able to set a particular folder to be associated with a particular project and/or client. That would be a fantastic addition to an already great product. I very much like the way your software looks and the fact that the name of every Web page and document I have ever opened isn't sitting out on the Internet somewhere. That's just kind of creepy and, for my needs, it isn't worth it. Thanks!
admin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:33:09 AM(UTC)
admin

Could you describe the use case you mentioned in a little more detail?
ElaborateRuse  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:54:13 AM(UTC)
ElaborateRuse

Hi,
Thanks for your interest in my comments. I'm not sure whether you are referring to my first situation or the second, and since they are two different ways to give the same result, I will explain both:

I work at a place where I work on a number of different client files each day. Each client folder is currently organized as a subfolder of the particular client for whom the work is being done, with some additional folders underneath that represent different documents that make logical sense. Each client file is handled separate and apart from other client files.

When I am working on a particular project within a client file, I am usually writing and/or editing one document while reading or referring to one or several others in the same client file. Occasionally, I will need to incorporate the use of other documents in other client files and/or web pages into this workflow for additional reference information while writing.

It is necessary for me to track my time to complete the drafting and/or editing of the project document(s). This means more than just the time spent with the active window being the document I drafted. This must include the time spent researching and reading in the other documents in the client file and particular web pages. Since I may stop and start or switch projects mid-stream, it is not enough to be able to tag a 'block' of time as being associated with the project because 1) the time periods may be frequent but discontinuous, which means a lot of time spent tagging, and 2) the system should be able to track my progress on hundreds of different projects over time without getting bogged down (I anticipate that the SQLite DB is capable of this, I just haven't tried since the time required to input each period of time is not worth the benefit gained (see #1).

Rather, I suggest two different solutions that meet my circumstances:

1) Being able to choose a folder and whenever a document in that folder is open, associate the time spent with the active window on the document as being for the project. This has the advantage of being a 'set and forget,' but the disadvantage of not being able to easily target the outside documents and webpages.

2) Being able to target windows open windows of documents associated with the project once, and using the title and/or the process of the window to determine which project with which to associate the time spent in them. This has the advantage of being able to incorporate web pages and documents in any location, but the disadvantage of having to target each window.
It is also important of course, to recognize the slight variations that may occur in window titles without affecting what the window is actually presenting. For example, some applications may add a * to the window title when a change has been made, or a web page may change its title (e.g. Gmail when you have a new Google Talk message).

I believe that it may be effective to target certain applications for this behavior, since it is difficult, if not impossible, to generalize the behavior of window titles. Additionally, while not a problem for me since the client file number is in the file name of most documents I work on, some people may run into issues with files of the same name but in different folders. For example, a file Letter to John Smith.doc may appear in folder 0001 and folder 0002, but MS Word simply displays Letter to John Smith.doc in the title bar.
For this reason, I think that a few add-ins for popular applications that are likely to be used with ManicTime may be the best way to get the data you need to really track time spent without getting confused over window title changes. For example, I would imagine that many, if not most, people are most concerned about tracking time spent in business apps, such as MS Office/OpenOffice, Photoshop and other media editors, web browsers, etc. I am not familiar with Adobe's affinity to add-ins, but certainly a small MS Office add-in could derive information about open documents, and a Chrome/Firefox add-in could get information about websites. In fact, it would be really cool to be able to set some rules about what URLs/domains/regular expressions should be associated with what project.

I hope this is helpful in understanding my use case. I don't mind providing this information since MT is about 90% perfect for what I need. Thanks!
admin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:46:18 AM(UTC)
admin

Could you try this, let me know if it is any help.

Click on Documents timeline.
In filter write name of your client folder. It should show any office documents you used from this folder.
Check all of them, and tag them like 'Client, Working on something'

Do this for all your client folder for the day.

You can do the same for any sites which you know what you used them for.

By this point you should end up with a lot of small tags, where tags of the same client are concentrated in the same areas. You can then select 'Select only untagged time' to the left of the zoom, and drag over this areas to tag the missing time, or you could go trough all the missing time in details view if you want to be completely accurate.

Does this help, I mean the filter part particularly. We could automate this so it would be easier to use...
sawfoot  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:09:16 PM(UTC)
sawfoot

Along with combing data from multiple computer logs, auto-tagging is IMHO the most needed feature for ManicTime.

Auto-tagging could be based on programs or documents.

For programs, I would suggest a right click option when you click on a program which you can add or remove auto-tagging for that program (with options for multiple tags).

For documents, I would suggest auto-tagging based on search term filters.

Right now in ManicTime, I use a search term for a particular project (which captures file names/folders/websites etc for that project), then do "check all", then tag them on the tag timeline. This is basically what you suggest in the post above, and it works fine, it is just a pain to do this everyday, for multiple projects, and involves several steps.

So I would suggest a separate dialogue which lists current auto-tagging filters, which shows the search term and tag type, which can be edited, added to, or removed. You could add an icon next to the advanced search box to create a new auto-tag filter based on the current search term.

Also, the search entire database seems a bit useless right now. It needs the ability to tag entries - e.g. I search for a project name across all entries, and tag them from the search dialogue.
ElaborateRuse  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 9:43:41 PM(UTC)
ElaborateRuse

Thank you for the suggestion on how to accomplish this. I am an admitted new user to the program, and to be honest, clicking on the documents timeline did a lot to consolidate the data I was looking for that I had not known about prior to following your suggestion. A little more automation might be helpful as mentioned in my previous suggestions, but this is a lot better than I originally thought. Thank you for the suggestions!
wbervoets  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 10:07:27 AM(UTC)
wbervoets

I would agree with the other posters that auto-tagging is the most important missing feature. The amount of time it currently takes is too much, so I'll probably not keep up...

Wim

--------------------------
http://travellodge.be - Cool Free travel tips
http://www.wimsbios.com - Find a BIOS update for your PC
pnhughes  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:13:02 AM(UTC)
pnhughes

Hey, just sent the following as a comment to the ManicTime developers in the "Contact" section before I noticed the forum.

On this topic, I too find the burden of tagging-while-doing too great, and after a good start using ManicTime, my discipline tends to break down, and then I eventually stop using the program after a few days of not tagging faithfully. Auto tagging would definitely be helpful, but I can see how it would be difficult to organize, as there are many possible ways to accomplish this.

One feature I think would be helpful would be a "daily report", which would produce a summary of all discrete activities/periods for a given period of time, along with a tag field for each one. This would allow for more rapid and efficient tagging of all activities in a given day or period. It would be ideal if the product would also lean to default future items to tags which have been frequently applied in the past. In this way the system would require less time to accurately tag a day's work the longer a person used it, and for me would eliminate the need for any tagging-while-doing, which interrupts my flow.

Anyway, a bit off-topic, but I think it's related enough to mention here.
notime2waste  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2011 6:53:53 PM(UTC)
notime2waste

I just started using MT yesterday after evaluating several time-tracking programs and am very impressed so far! I track time for billing purposes and having the ability to capture and aggregate small increments of time for emails, etc. is very valuable.

After reading through the forums and seeing how to use filtering as a sort of half-automated route to tagging, I'm finding that I can speed up tagging quite a bit. However, after tagging large blocks of project work by highlighting spans of time or using filters, I am left with a lot of untagged bits and would like a way to group and tag them more efficiently. For example, after tagging time spent on emails for several clients in Outlook, I want to quickly grab all of the untagged Outlook time and tag it as Misc. Correspondence. But I don't see a way to exclude time that has already been tagged from the filter/search functions. If I filter Applications on Outlook, I see by the colored bars to the left of results which are untagged, but there's no way to quickly select all of the untagged instances of Outlook use to apply a single tag to them. So my suggestions are 1) Add a "show untagged only" option on the filter bar or 2) add the ability to highlight a span of filtered entries using shift + click.

Also, it would be great to have an option (either as a program setting or in filtering) to ignore a app/doc when the window is active for less than x seconds (so that when you switch windows very quickly just to find the right window you aren't generating a lot of extraneous entries in the log).

I do agree that an auto-tagging function would be tremendously helpful - ideally one that allows the user to create rules based on applications and documents.
admin  
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2011 10:45:35 AM(UTC)
admin

Its very easy to tag all untagged Outlook time. But it looks like it is hard to find, we'll see if we can make this more visible.
Next to the Add tag button, there are three buttons.
1.Select all
2.Select only untagged
3.Show only untagged

If you have either 2 or 3 selected, then when you click on checkbox next to the Oulook in bottom right corner(summary part) only untagged time will be selected. So after you are done tagging with filter just click on checkbox next to the Oulook to select all untagged time.
If you have either of those two modes selected you can for example check all the untagged time just by dragging on the timelines from when you started working to when you ended and it will select only untagged time.

2. To shift select
Shift select some entries or you can use CTRL-A to select all. To select time just click on one of the checkboxes of the selected lines. This will check all highlighted lines.

3. Tracking only after x seconds of usage
By default it tracks only after 5 seconds of usage. To make this into a setting has been on our todo list for quite some time it just never makes it to the top. It will one day.

notime2waste  
#13 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2011 2:28:49 AM(UTC)
notime2waste

That was very helpful - thank you! I had overlooked those buttons and was clicking on the wrong area (near the checkboxes instead of the middle of the row when trying to shift-select, so it wasn't working.

Still hoping for rules-based tagging in the future, though.....

Another question: is there a way to keep MT tracking Skype as the active application for as long as I am on a call, even if I am multitasking, or even if I don't touch keyboard or mouse for the whole time I am on a call (MT thinks I am away)?

Thanks again for the great product support!
admin  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2011 11:43:41 AM(UTC)
admin

Sorry, no way. It will always just track the app in focus.
GeorgeR  
#15 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:18:59 AM(UTC)
GeorgeR

How about supporting LINQ queries as tags? ie.

from d in documents where d.Path.Contains "ProjectName" select d

...or just give me an API and i'll do it myself :P
admin  
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:00:55 AM(UTC)
admin

And here I thought LINQ method syntax would be good enough :)
bolle  
#17 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2011 11:48:13 PM(UTC)
bolle

I have been trying this software for a few days and I would like to second the request for rule-based automatic tagging.
Preferably with wildcards (*) (or even better, regular expressions).

Software that requires effort (tagging all the different activities) is software that people tend to stop using after a while.

The less effort required, and the smoother the use is, the more users you will have, I promise :-)

For that reason I am convinced adding automatic tagging is much more important than adding "expanding" features (that not even all users need).

By the way, I like your software the most of the 5-6 different ones I have tried.
admin  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:35:07 PM(UTC)
admin

v2 includes autotagging.

http://www.manictime.com...ort/Help/v13/31/overview

Feedback is welcome.
stevenp  
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:52:03 AM(UTC)
stevenp

Why Auto-Tags is a separate timeline???
How to create a Top Tags+AutoTags chart in Statistics?
admin  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:59:12 AM(UTC)
admin

Why its a seperate timeline is a long answer. Short version is, that we tried to make it one but it just wasn't usable. There was no way of knowing what was calculated and what was not, what would change with the rules and what would stay the same.
In this way you have much more control over what you want to make into tags.

You can't do that in statistics, but you can do it in TimeSheet.

Go to Timesheet, on the left there is a listbox, Select timelines.
Choose both tag and autotag timelines and stats will be summed up.
2 Pages12>