Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billynair  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:29:22 AM(UTC)
billynair

I use my "All Tags" to track how many hours I have gained in a week. It works beautifully, I like the fact that you dont need to add a tag to it whenever you decide to add a task. The one thing I wish we could do is have a tag that does not get added to the "All Tags", maybe even an option to just add a not to a section without being a tag. The reason for this is to log notes about why you dont have a tag. For example, if you leave work to go see your kid's presentation, you are gone and want to remind yourself next month why you were gone but dont want to have an actual tag there to mess up your "work hours".

It will also help with going back and doing hours a few days later and see that there is a section that you didnt tag, so you want to go in and tag it but cant remember why you left it blank. did you forget or were you doing something that shouldnt go against your work hours?

THANKS!

--will

billynair attached the following image(s):
screenshot.gif (8kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
billynair  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2011 12:14:03 AM(UTC)
billynair

I will be going home based soon and this will become an invaluable feature. even just the ability to place notes on the timeline without effecting the "All Tags" count would be a huge benefit!

Any plans on doing anything of the sort? Either "invisible tags" or notes without tags?
admin  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2011 11:25:07 AM(UTC)
admin

Here is what I do and let me know if it works or not.

My tags are usually structured like this:
Work, ManicTime, Version 1.6, Some feature
Work, ManicTime, Version 1.5, Bug fix
Work, Project 1, Feature 1
Work, Project 1, Feature 2
Personal, Kid stuff
Lunch break
Personal, Cycling

Tags are broken down by comma. So when I tag
Work, ManicTime

it is the same as if I tagged some time twice, first with Work, then with ManicTime.

In statistics each tag will be shown separately, so like:
Work
ManicTime
Version 1.6
Some feature
Project 1

Now to see all work I go to statistics and just add tag Work,
To see all Personal time I just add Personal.
Same if I want to see how much time I worked on ManicTime.

Does this help?
billynair  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2011 10:05:19 PM(UTC)
billynair

I started to do that a while ago, and if I had a limited number of tags it would be OK, but the problem is that I have recently been bumped off my old project and have been moved to a few new projects and so i am adding new tags constantly, this means I have over a hundred tags that need to be accounted for in the "All Tags" part of the weekly statistics. If I just tag the work only time, it will equal 40 hours and I know how long I need to work on friday (i get in a few extra hours during the week so I can go home early friday)
If I skip a few hours during the workday there are blank areas in the tag area, i would like a way to tell myself that those are not supposed to be counted on any level. I like the "All Tags" to count hours, but I wish there was a way to tell yourself not to try and remember what the blanks were about. Even the ability to write notes on the "Computer Usage" line would work.
admin  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2011 11:49:06 PM(UTC)
admin

I'd say this is more a problem with statistics than it is with tagging. If there was a way to say something like All tags Except these, you could achieve what you want.

In the next version there will be a timesheet like view which I think will help. It will basically show tags in a timesheet view and you will also be able to limit it to for example Work tag. So if you prefix all your projects with Work and all other stuff with Personal I think it should work nicely.

Once we release it, let me know if it wont solve your problems.
billynair  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:11:35 PM(UTC)
billynair

just downloaded 1.5.5.0. How do I use the feature you are talking about? is it in the "Day" tab or in the "Statistics" tab?
admin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:23:02 PM(UTC)
admin

Sorry, I meant the next major release. Will be either 1.6 or 2.0.