Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BillB  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2011 12:28:56 PM(UTC)
BillB

Hi there, loving V2 with its timesheets function, which is so much more than I expected. It's great to be able to see all my projects across an entire year, summed by month/week etc - very revealing.

It would be really helpful if the Export function (Tools and Settings > Export) would allow export of decimal hours (1.5, not 1:30:00) as that would allow most databases and spreadsheets to sum the records without further processing. It would also be useful if the various Tag levels 1, 2, 3 were exported in their own fields.

Existing CSV export:
"Name","Start","End","Duration","Notes"
"Computer, research","04/11/2011 14:15:03","04/11/2011 16:02:59","1:47:56","databases"

Suggested CSV export (note tags in fields + decimal duration):
"Tag1","Tag2","Tag3","Start","End","Duration","Notes"
"Computer","research","","04/11/2011 14:15:03","04/11/2011 16:02:59","1.78","databases"

It would also be nice to have option of not exporting time elements in the start and end fields, as these require interpretation or splitting, whereas date fields are easy to interpret.

Edited by user Saturday, November 5, 2011 12:31:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2011 9:56:42 AM(UTC)
admin

I think somebody already suggested a splitting of date and time as well, so in the end it would look like:
"Tag1","Tag2","Tag3","StartDate", "StartTime", "EndDate", "EndTime","Duration","Notes"
"Computer","research","","04/11/2011", "14:15:03","04/11/2011", "16:02:59","1.78","databases"

Out of curiosity, what are you using the export for? Maybe we can add a feature which would cover your scenario.
BillB  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:57:23 PM(UTC)
BillB

That export string would be great.

To answer your question, we are a small team of consultants (2!) with a small number of freelancers (2-3) working with us - if all goes well, they may become employees in time. The freelancers are not connected to our network, so the new server edition cannot aggregate their collective time on projects. I therefore feel the need to export all of our time to an external database, so that time spent on projects can be assessed across the team.

Obviously the best solution is if this happens automatically as data is being entered (as is the case with your new timesheet function) with no need to export, process etc. However, you have got me thinking how ManicTime could do this and there may be a relatively simple answer.

If you have a function to import 'exported CSVs' from other users and assign to a new timeline for team member "X", "Y" etc, this could be included in the timesheets function, as network users are in V2. So the procedure would be: import CSV (select file); assign to timeline for user X. This could be done weekly, or to suit the team requirements.

There could be issues with users re-importing over a previously imported time period... maybe there could be a check, on import, whether there are records for that period, and give an option to keep new or keep old, or open CSV with system default (Excel/text editor) so that any overlap could be edited out, saved, and import re-attempted.

Hmmm... that would really do it for us. It would certainly save me having to think about exporting to other databases for this purpose. The timesheet function in ManicTime V2 is incredibly powerful and revealing, as I said at the start of this thread. To be able to easily show other team members' tagged data in the timesheet would be amazing. It looks like you have already covered some of the requirements with the option for multiple timelines and the timeline editor.
admin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:53:44 AM(UTC)
admin

We can fix the export, but I doubt we will do an import. We'd like to keep the sharing on the server and clients with just the local data.
So one thing we could do is have an import from file on the server. Something like drop files to some folder where server would pick them up.
Or we can help so that you can set up server so it is visible to the freelancers.
BillB  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 4, 2011 5:55:00 PM(UTC)
BillB

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Something like drop files to some folder where server would pick them up.

That would probably work well. It would be very helpful if freelancers were't obliged to be connected via web/network - sending an email with CSV would be very flexible.

admin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:00:21 AM(UTC)
admin

We were thinking some more about this. The easiest way to do this is if server would get timeline data directly from the database. So freelancers could either send whole database or just database with certain timelines for example and server would import it.

May I ask about the server, why wouldn't you grant access to the server? I mean even if we implement this feature, which might take a while, you will still have more work and older data.
Is there something we can do on the server which would persuade you to use it? SSL, native users...?
BillB  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2011 10:41:56 AM(UTC)
BillB

Hi, sorry for the late reply but I didn't get a notification of your posting. As we are a small company, "The server" is my PC. It isn't left on 24/7, so presumably others could only access it when it was on. If we are working at different times, it makes sense that data transfer is via transmitted files (eg emails) rather than real-time data exchange.
Server technology and terminology is not straightfoward if you are not used to dealing with it regularly (I think programmers sometimes forget this...). The pages of instructions here
http://www.manictime.com.../36/how-to-set-up-server
make the point.