Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidem  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:01:02 AM(UTC)
davidem

If you leveraged/extended the underlying AutoTag monitoring machinery, you could provide gentle prompts to the user based on the current activity (via a no-focus-grabbing tool tip from the Tray, e.g.).

It's just a message, per rule, so it could be anything: "please apply a title", or "Tag this now", "get back to work!".

As an example of how I would use it right away:

ManicTime obviously allows you to attribute your work best when you give proper window titles to the apps or docs you are working on, but a lot of the time one finds themselves starting off working on "untitled" emails, docs, project files, etc.

e.g., If one works a long time composing an email without filling out the subject (or save an ad-hoc db query window with a temporary file name, so it appears in the title bar), an autotag obviously can't help very much, except to tag it as "unattributed email", in which case, what's the point?. Even tagging after the fact may be a guess.

absorption is likely to be wrong, in these cases, because I am just as likely to read an incoming, titled email as change the name of the one I am writing myself.

Gently asking me to consider titling the item I am working on would allow AutoTags themselvs to be that much more useful. What was meant by "untitled" for each type of application would be according to the same kind of rules that recognize items in AutoTags now.

admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:01:41 AM(UTC)
admin

Interesting.
I think alerts would solve this one. So alerts is something like, notify me when I'm surfing for more than 5 minutes, 30 minutes today ... Basically notifications pinned to some rule, autotag....

In this case you could create an autotag with some rules about untitled stuff and have an alert on it.
davidem  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 2:56:11 AM(UTC)
davidem

yes, exactly. At first I was thinking along the particular usage that I desired, but realized it would be more useful and user-extensible if it were general. For my usage, I would try it with a 0 or minimal delay time, but I can imagine others using it for other alerts that are based on longer periods.