Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rick_Rutledge  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:18:00 AM(UTC)
Rick_Rutledge

I will start by saying that I just now installed ManicTime on the recommendation of a colleague, and while I've gone through your intros, etc., I haven't started using it.

I am an attorney, and of course part of what I bill for is time. I frequently "lose" time spent researching, reading, etc., because I'm doing it outside of my case management system (Amicus), which has built-in timers. As a long-time Outlook user, it's habit to work from there, much as I fight it.

I have developed scripts in VBA (I was a computer geek in my previous professional life) to push journal entries into the calendar, and to import text messages from my phone into Outlook, not just for tracking time, but for creating the most thorough possible "paper trail" of my contacts with clients and other counsel. The Journal in Outlook is great for tracking Office applications, but doesn't track notes I may take in Notepad, work/reading done in PDF files, etc.

As much of this as possible is pushed into the Outlook Calendar, because this feeds the calendar in Amicus, from which billable time entries are created.

So, my question/suggestion relates to the ability to "push back" from ManicTime into Outlook, that is, to turn the ManicTime entries into Outlook Journal entries or calendar entries (or to have a choice), so that the time can be recovered as billable. Since I can see you support exports, if you can't readily create a programmatic link, a predefined export that makes an importable CSV file that's "ready for import" by Outlook would be valuable.

Of course, if none of that works, I suppose I could just expand my VBA scripts to open up a SQL connection with your database and pull it straight out....
admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:16:54 PM(UTC)
admin

If you go to Tools and settings -> Export you can then import the csv file into Outlook, but you would need to split Date and Time field as discussed here.
http://forum.manictime.c...t.aspx?g=posts&m=495

You could also, as you already figured out, connect directly to SQL and get the data from there.

Rick_Rutledge  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:31:44 PM(UTC)
Rick_Rutledge

I tried connecting, but my SQL Server Studio (2008 R2) says it can't connect. What DB version are you running that on, so I can figure out how to connect? (I used the Compact Edition interface, but it said it wasn't a supported file version.)

Thanks,

-Rick
admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 9:53:20 AM(UTC)
admin

We are using MS SQL CE 4.0. I think as far as MS, you can only open it with Visual Studio 2010.

I suggest you try this tool
http://fishcodelib.com/Database.htm