Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JulesBo  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 3:52:02 AM(UTC)
JulesBo

Hi, I've been using MT only for a month, and just purchased Pro after the trial. I've been a consultant for over 15 years, and have always been HORRIBLE about tracking my time, so I'm fairly excited to see what MT can do for me.

Can I autotag by the folder location of the file I'm working on? For example, I keep each customer's work in folders like so:
My Documents/Clients/BusinessX
My Documents/Clients/JoesPlumbing
My Documents/Clients/WidgetsInc

It would be brilliant, if I could setup an autotag rule for each folder.

In many cases, MT gives the full path and name of the file in the Title field--if it did this consistently, autotagging (for me) would be a snap. But unfortunately in many cases it gives only the filename in the Title field. Sometimes it just shows "Microsoft Excel" which may mean that I just have Excel open but no file...but it's pretty rare that I'd do that for an extended period of time.
JulesBo attached the following image(s):
Manic.JPG (72kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:08:46 PM(UTC)
admin

Sorry, I completely forgot to reply.

Yes, this will be much easier in the coming version. So what you do is:
Right click on the same part as on the image, but on the Documents timeline, not applications. Choose Add to autotag.

You should see something like
Find group
- some document you work on
- any group

Choose Any group and then check And title contains and delete it so that only folder remains.

For example lets say that in the field you have
c:\some folder\client1\somefile.xls

Edit it so it looks like
c:\some folder\client1\

What this will do is look for any document which has a path
c:\some folder\client1\
and it will apply it to the autotag.
JulesBo  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:53:36 PM(UTC)
JulesBo

Hi, what you're saying totally makes sense, but the path is not included with the document. That worries me. Does it "know" this file is in the c:\my documents\client1 folder?
JulesBo attached the following image(s):
manic2.JPG (75kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:02:51 PM(UTC)
admin

Some apps know, some apps don't. Notepad for example will only show file name. Office apps should show the whole path. It depends on the app and whether we can get to the full path.
admin  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:23:04 PM(UTC)
admin

Just wanted to add an optional work around. If you are using Notepad to edit txt docs, maybe you can use Notepad++. I think MT should show the full path there...

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
ToucanCreative  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:43:18 AM(UTC)
ToucanCreative

I would like to throw my support behind the development of this as well. As Jules notes, for the vast majority of documents that show up in the list, it merely lists the title of the document - not it's full path location, thus not allowing us to auto-tag entire folders (and therefore entire projects) based on the documents worked on contained within those specified folders.

Is there a technical reason why it wouldn't show the full path, or a bug preventing MT to determine the file location?

Otherwise, I'm loving MT, just looking for it to be even more automated so I can concentrate on working - not on tagging!

Matt
admin  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:53:30 AM(UTC)
admin

Technical reason. The last time we looked at this, you could get a list of all open files in the system, but you would have to have admin rights. And it would also have to figure out which file is actually being viewed in each app. So not an easy task.

For now the only solution we can offer is if you tell us which apps you are using and we can take a look if we can figure something out.
ToucanCreative  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:00:12 AM(UTC)
ToucanCreative

Quick response! Nice one.

I am using a number of applications including 3ds Max 2012, After Effects CS5, Premiere CS5(this DOES show the path), Photoshop CS5... these are my primary applications. It looks as if it grabs the file location from what is shown in the title bar of the active application - is this a correct assumption? If so, then presumably I would need to find a way to "activate" the full path in the title bar of each application for MT to read it until another solution is found.

I'm all ears on your suggestions!

Matt
admin  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:10:13 AM(UTC)
admin

Plugins are in Program files/ManicTime/Plugins folder.
The file names tell you for which apps they are used. The ones on the list should more or less return the full path (Not sure about PS)
Then there is one more plugin, CustomTitles. This one will try to get stuff from the title, so it is a generic plugin extracting things from the title.
You can read more about it here (under General plugin)
http://www.manictime.com/Support/Help/v15/12/document-timeline

If you can have full path in the title, then you can modify the CustomTitle.txt to extract the full path.

I'll see what we can do about the apps you mentioned, although Adobe is not very friendly :)
paul_harden  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 6:15:41 PM(UTC)
paul_harden

I upgraded today hoping in such a feature, for my job is pretty critical as I have at least five applications that throw data in a single folder structure..
I understand working with path in document titles is not always possible, perhaps you could cross-reference a saved file with it's application?

This could be very, very handy for me!