Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ultradianguy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2012 5:51:49 PM(UTC)
ultradianguy

Hi - just started using ManicTime and I'm very impressed - great program!
I'm posting to echo another post I found requesting the ability to use Autotags in the Statistics graphs.
I'd also like to request the ability to categorize Tags into larger groups.
But I also have a workaround suggestion involving automatic copying of autotags to tags - see below.

I'm using Manictime for two purposes:
1) To get an idea how much time I'm spending at meetings and on major projects
2) To monitor how much I'm wasting on distractions (eg personal gmail).
I don't use timesheets at all.

I had been using RescueTime before, and I love the way RT can automatically class web domains in different categories, and assign them scores for how productive/distracting they are. I also really like RT's graphic display. Unfortunately, RT has an incredibly clunky web interface and it's web site is insanely slow. Manictime has a great interface and I really appreciate it's flexibility and speed.

But.

Autotags are incredibly useful, and give me most of what I need.
But I realized when I went to set up statistics displays to show how much time I'm spending on productive vs unproductive activities, that I can't use any of the data produced via my autotags! I set up a bunch of rules that work great - but I can't use the data! I realized I can copy the autotags to Tags, but that means I have to keep doing this manually and repeatedly - no way to just flip quick to the statistics display and get a read on how I'm spending my time. Really hoping you'll consider making autotags available here. Ideally, I'd like the ability to use Tags AND autotags in the same display, since there will be some activities (eg meetings) that I'll tag manually and others (time spent on gmail, yahoo, etc) that will come from autotags. To get the full picture, I'd need both.

Alternatively, perhaps you could set up an option to automatically copy autotags to Tags periodically - that way you wouldn't have to make any changes to your statistics at all. Perhaps you could have variable frequency - so if I set it to copy autotags to Tags every hour, with the same options I'd have doing it manually, that would accomplish the same thing.

The other thing would be the ability to categorize or group Tags/Autotags. I can get around this one by using more tags, but it would be great to be able to put several tags into one category automatically (eg Productive Time).

It would be great to have a few more options on graphical display, such as stacked bars. (This is one of the things I love on RescueTime - would be great if you could offer a display like the one they have that shows multiple line graphs on top of each other.

Lastly, would be nice if you could have an option to show graphical output hourly over multiple days.

Thanks!
Michael
admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 9, 2012 8:40:44 PM(UTC)
admin

I added hourly reports and stacked bars to our list. Those two shouldn't be a problem, we'll add them in one of the coming versions, but not in 2.4. We have our hands full with this one as it is.

Don't know what to do with statistics for autotags. I added it to our list, we'll see what we can come up with. The problem is that statistics is precalculated and we can do that because past data rarely changes and even if it does we know exactly where it changes (got deleted, updated....) One added rule to autotags means we need to recalculate everything, Either that or recalculate on demand which will work differently than the rest of statistics.

We could add some setting like transfer autotags to tags at the end of each day. So something like when MT starts, check last active day and if the autotags were not transfered yet, transfer them now. This would then only work for the last acive day. How does that sounds?
ultradianguy  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 3:05:38 AM(UTC)
ultradianguy

Hi - thanks. Ideally, more frequently than once/day - every couple hours? Does it make a difference? Be good to have more real time indication. But once/day is better than nothing.