Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cthulhu  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:47:50 AM(UTC)
Cthulhu

I wasn't able to determine whether this was reported before, but anyways. I'm experiencing heavy lagging of the UI in version 1.3.12, where the mouse pointer just stalls and the whole thing is generally unresponsive or just slow. It works, but only barely. This sluggishness goes away if I keep the GUI on for a few minutes.

I don't think it's my computer - the Task Manager reports very low CPU usage when the GUI is open and the choppyness effect takes hold.

I'm no expert, but it seems the UI thread is directly affecting the input thread (if that makes any sense). Possibly fancy effects problem.

Speaking of fancy effects, the slight blurring in of tooltips when hovering the cursor over it occasionally takes too long to finish, making my eyes think they need glasses. This might be related to the general UI sluggishness I'm experiencing. Would it be possible to make that effect an option that can be turned off?
admin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:42:53 PM(UTC)
admin

First idea would be to try updating the display drivers, WPF is hardware accelerated so the latest drivers could help. If it doesn't help, try running MT with 'ManicTime /nohw'. This will run MT without hardware acceleration, let me know how this works out.

The blurry text you mention comes from Microsoft WPF technology and there is nothing you or we can do about it. I remember the effect you are describing from XP, but I can't see it any more on Win7. I guess it just renders it blurred at first to show something, then on the second pass it sharpens it. So the only thing we can do is figure out why it is so slow on your system.

Let me know if drivers or nohw option help.
Cthulhu  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 1:53:53 PM(UTC)
Cthulhu

I've first tried updating my drivers (crappy ones for a laptop), the ones installed were from 2008, the newer ones were from 2009. I installed them and rebooted, but the problem came back.

I then tried the /nohw option, and so far, it seems that that one did the trick.

As for the blurring thing, I was afraid it was part of WPF, I've heard lots of complaints on that one running in XP. Oh well, here's to hoping we'll get an upgrade to Windows 7 at work soon :).

Thanks for the help, that was really the only big problem I've had with this program.
jmac  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 3, 2010 4:28:13 PM(UTC)
jmac

Hi,

I am having a similar problem with slow response, but only with the Tagging pop-up window.

When I select a block of time and tag it, the tagging pop-up window takes 5 seconds to appear. Once the window appears, there is a lag between my keystrokes and the characters appearing in the window. This is very frustrating. I'm spending minutes tagging things when it should be a 10 second exercise at most.

The instructions below say " try running MT with 'ManicTime /nohw". I am not certain I know how to do this. I tried adjusting my display settings (display settings -> advanced -> troubleshoot -> change settings). However, I got the message that my current driver does not allow for changes to be made.

I then spent several hours reinstalling the display drivers for my AMD ATI Radeon HD 3200 integrated graphics card. That did not resolve the issue.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I am very impressed with the software, but the slow tagging offsets the value.

Thanks!
admin  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2010 11:48:36 AM(UTC)
admin

Could you tell me some more about how MT works, is it slow when you go to previous days? Statistics? Or is it just tagging that is slow?
Also which version are you using and for how long? And could you also tell me a bit about how you tag? How many tags do you use when you tag? Do you maybe write a lot of notes? (I'm just guessing, as far as I know this all should work smoothly)

I doubt it has to do with your video card, much more likely CPU is the bottleneck.
jmac  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:15:01 PM(UTC)
jmac

Slowness in the opening in the tagging window appears to correlate with disk access during the opening of the tagging pop-up window.

Only the tagging pop-up window is slow. Changing days or using statistics is practically automatic.

I am using Version 1.3.1.2. I have been using it for 3 days.

It is taking 9 seconds to pop-up. Selecting a block of time to tag works fine. The drop-down menu appears instantly.

When I click on "add tag", the MT window goes black for typically 9 seconds while sand pours through the hourglass. Then the tagging window pops-up.

The tagging window displays about 80 lines of tags. I use 2-3 tags per block of time. As I mentioned before, typing in the window can be very slow. I rarely add notes.

I just monitored my CPU usage and physical memory during a tagging. Neither appears to spike. I have encountered the issue with and without other programs running. At most my physical memory and CPU usage are at 50% of peak.

I used Resource Monitor in Vista to see what is happening during tagging. Slowness in the opening in the tagging window appears to correlate with disk access. It spikes to 100% as the tagging window is opening. CPU usage rises by 10 to 20 percentage points from a baseline of 20 to 40 percent.

Any thoughts on speeding things up?
admin  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:12:41 PM(UTC)
admin

Could you first try downloading the new version (1.4.3). Just download and install, it will also upgrade the database. The problem will most likely still exist, but just so we are using the same version and we can send you updates.

If the problem persists, try creating a new database. my guess is that there is something wrong with the database.

So go to the folder with the database.
Database is in file ManicTime.sdf. Close MT, copy the file somewhere to make a backup, then delete it. After you will start MT, new database will be created. Try creating a few tags, is it still slow?

When you are done, close MT and copy the old db back.

If new db works, then it is most likely something wrong with the database. In that case would you be willing to send it to us?
If it acts the same, then we will send you some files with more logging so we can see exactly where the app is slow.

Let me know how it goes.
jmac  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 7, 2010 7:34:55 PM(UTC)
jmac

I created a new database in the old version.

It is working fine so far. I will keep you posted.

I also upgraded to the latest version. However, the version show in the lower RH corner is 1.3.1.2.

jmac  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2010 4:58:14 AM(UTC)
jmac

The new version and new database have not completely resolved the issue. The performance has improved.

The tagging window takes 9-12 seconds to pop-up roughly one out of every 3 times. I select a section of time line. I click on the downward-pointing gray triangle to get the drop-down menu. This all occurs instantaneously. The 9-12 second delay comes after I click on "add tag".

So far the delay between keystrokes is minimal. However, it seems to be slower than when I first installed the program. Would the number of unique tags affect the keystroke delay? It seems that it would given that it is searching for existing tags as one types.

I am running MT (usb version) from an SD card.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.