Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidem  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:32:46 PM(UTC)
davidem

It would be excellent if ManicTime could collect an additional piece of info for documents or other entries: last known location to open the doc (and especially email thread) from ManicTime itself, rather than me having to mine my email for this info directly (when I can't remember what the conversation was about, etc).

This is already available by default for web URLs, but if other applications provide the ability to open docs via their own "URL" syntax, it would be excellent if ManicTime could open it via that app, assuming it hasn't moved.

For email threads, it would seem that some Outlook/general mail thread id would be best, but let's see how it goes. Hopefully Outlook can let you open something by such an id irrespective of it's folder location within Outlook. The subject name is probably not a good key, as that can be altered through the course of a conversation, but the thread id should remain the same.
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 7:59:10 AM(UTC)
admin

We'll have to do something with outlook anyway, we'll look into it, if it is possible of starting outlook with this kind of info.

If we work on Outlook plugin, which info should be extracted (I'm not much of an Outlook user)?
davidem  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 6:10:39 PM(UTC)
davidem

I think the Outlook api would be a better indicator of that. I really don't know what mechanisms outlook provides for looking up an item (across a whole mailbox file/exchange mailbox, or across multiple mailboxes/archives). I would hope it has some indexed "key" that can be recorded, and allow that message to be opened, irrespective of the folder it currently resides in, assuming it is still stored at all.

I imagine implementing this to general satisfaction will be an iterative process through the community.

Personally, what I do, is capture "threads" (by subject name) as document groups via customtitle. It rolls up all fw, re, etc as a single group. If I can't recall what a substantial thread involved (because people are generally lazy about writing meaningful subject lines), I'd like to be able to open the thread (most recent message in it), and browse it. Right now I browse in Outlook by hand. Not terrible, but could be made automagic.

So, for each event, I think you would capture a message id, but when I try to open it via "Document" timeline, manictime figures out which actual message corresponds to the most recent in the timeline, and looks up that one. If that has been removed, find one "nearby" by some thread id (earlier or later, depending).

But first let's just get individual lookup working :)
admin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:35:53 PM(UTC)
admin

In the latest version we tried to add an Outlook plugin. Unfortunately for some users Outlook gives out warnings that MT could send emails as soon as connection to the Outlook is made so we removed it.
You can add it yourself
http://www.manictime.com...v15/12/document-timeline

I'll see what we can do about generating an URL to open the message directly from MT.