Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AquaeAtrae  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:58:38 PM(UTC)
AquaeAtrae

I would like to request native Document Tracking be integrated for MS OneNote. I and numerous others use this powerful information collection tool in their research and work. Students and researchers especially appreciate the tool. Presently, ManicTime tracks the Application and Title (page title) but the context (notebook, section, and parent pages) is not recorded. Pages that collect similar information often have the same title but may are collected with various projects or clients/classes.

I do not know if OneNote exposes its operations in the same way MS Office software does but, if so, hopefully this addition would not be difficult.

Edited by user Monday, April 16, 2012 7:00:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:30:27 AM(UTC)
admin

I'll put it on our todo list and we will take a look if we can get some more information.
davidem  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:04:32 PM(UTC)
davidem

I second this one.

Unfortunately, OneNote itself doesn't put the Book and Section info in the title bar, and there doesn't seem to be an option to force it to, so the normal titlebar extraction will only get you so far.

note that there are two executables for OneNote, both of which show up separately in ManicTime, so you need to put a CustomTitle entry for onenote.exe, not onenotem.exe
admin  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:05:12 PM(UTC)
admin

In MT each activity consists of group and a title.

For example with browsers, title is full URL, group is site URL
With apps, app is group, window title is title.

What would be the best way to represent one note?
For example:
group = notebook - section
title = page - section - notebook

Would this be ok?
davidem  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:18:44 PM(UTC)
davidem

Conceptually, I'm inclined to say my personal vote would be for group = notebook
title = notbook > section > page

But I'm not clear on how these values (group vs title) are leveraged in the app now. When I extract a title using CustomTitle, I am extracting the page name, but they show up as a "group" (as when I filter by that value, it shows group=<pagename>). Where is Title used? Can I see aggregates by Title?

I think I want to retain the ability to aggregate time by page (by notebook > section > page). That would seem to call for the ability to aggregate by both group and by title, but that sounded like it was further off. If that instead requires treating the the notebook > section > page combination as a 'group' in and of itself, then I would prefer that for the time being.

As an aside, I find the current treatment of being able to group and view totals only by web site in the Summary/Category area rather inconvenient. I am much more interested in the time spent in individual "documents" (which I would equate to the page), rather than just the parent site alone. This is especially true for large documentation sites, like MSDN, or our internal sharepoint sites. I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way.
AquaeAtrae  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 6:59:22 AM(UTC)
AquaeAtrae

Thank you for adding tracking for OneNote. This is terribly useful!

I have to add that I have been consistently amazed at the personal responsiveness and support I've received with the developers here, not just now but also years ago when the software was first taking shape. I'm very pleased and rarely find such effort among developers. I look forward to seeing ManicTime's continued success and hope to lend attention to it with my own efforts to come.
admin  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 8:28:50 PM(UTC)
admin

Thanks, it means a lot.