Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tomstorms  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:21:24 AM(UTC)
tomstorms

Is it possible to add support to 'Add Timeline' from a user's backup (.sdf) file?

I have users that work in different locations and thought it would be nice for them to just send the backup of their database and have an option to see their timeline by adding it to my interface.

Any thoughts?
davidem  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:10:21 PM(UTC)
davidem

why not just have them publish to the Server, and subscribe from to that?
tomstorms  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 2:37:26 AM(UTC)
tomstorms

Originally Posted by: davidem Go to Quoted Post
why not just have them publish to the Server, and subscribe from to that?

Yes that works fine in the scenario where my team and I are connected to the same LAN as the server. But if I am working in a different office in another country, we don't have the facilities or resources to setup a server online so that we can all publish data to it.

Hence why I thought having a feature to import a user's backup file into my Timeline might be better for scenarios like this? Unless there is another way?

Basically want to see individual timelines of users in my team but dont want to have to replace my sdf every time with their backup file.
davidem  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 2:56:59 AM(UTC)
davidem

How will they provide you the SDFs, then? Are they going to be emailing you copies of them, rather than dropping them on some file server that is available to them?
tomstorms  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 3:29:29 AM(UTC)
tomstorms

Originally Posted by: davidem Go to Quoted Post
How will they provide you the SDFs, then? Are they going to be emailing you copies of them, rather than dropping them on some file server that is available to them?

They would be uploading them to our repository.

Note, our repository is with a third-party provider. Hence we dont have control over their server to setup ManicTime Server
admin  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 7:54:48 AM(UTC)
admin

There were a few requests for this already. I doubt we will add this to ManicTime, but we could add it to server. So that server would pick up these databases, show them as it shows any other timelines currently synchronized through MT.

Then you could use Dropbox for synchronization for example, copy them to some folder, server would pick them up and you could add them in MT.
tomstorms  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 9:35:24 AM(UTC)
tomstorms

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
There were a few requests for this already. I doubt we will add this to ManicTime, but we could add it to server. So that server would pick up these databases, show them as it shows any other timelines currently synchronized through MT.

Then you could use Dropbox for synchronization for example, copy them to some folder, server would pick them up and you could add them in MT.

Sounds like a good alternative!

So would it then be possible, if I had a folder on my hard drive of all the .sdf files and setup both ManicTime Server and ManicTime on the same PC, I could essentially display the timelines on my MT client by connecting to server on the same PC?
admin  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 9:41:44 AM(UTC)
admin

Sure.
tomstorms  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2012 10:09:52 AM(UTC)
tomstorms

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
Sure.

Nice! Look forward to it soon..