Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davemayo2000  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 4:32:00 PM(UTC)
davemayo2000

I may be just missing something basic, but I just started using the trial (v1.5.7.0). When I leave for the day, I just lock my machine. When I unlock the next morning, ManicTime asks me to tag my away time. I've tried tagging it as overnight or something similar or not tagging at all. It seems that my "Day Start" is properly recorded at the correct time (the first unlock in the morning). The problem is when I look at the timeline statistics (e.g. active/session lock), the overnight time is included. If I manually delete the block of session lock time from overnight, everything is calculated and displayed as I'd expect. I basically don't want this time tracked at all. Is that possible?

Loving the idea of the product so far and still learning available features for statistics, tagging, etc. Hopefully, I can get this one little issue resolved.

Thanks!
admin  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 7:13:38 PM(UTC)
admin

For now you can't do much about it (I mean in terms of automating this, you can always delete it). While MT is running, it tracks the time. I guess the idea was that all information is valuable. If we track this, one could for example see when the computer was running and calculate electricity costs :) On the other hand the app should be so flexible that it allows you to see any information you want and hide the rest. At least that's how we thought about it.

But its not a bad idea to have a setting to not track overnight time.

Could you send me a screenshot of where it is bothering you?
davemayo2000  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 7:23:01 PM(UTC)
davemayo2000

I've deleted the overnight block from each night so far. Next Monday I'll have a nice long one from the weekend to screenshot :) I'll post that to this thread.

Thanks!
davemayo2000  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 4:56:17 PM(UTC)
davemayo2000

I've attached 3 images.

Weekend1.jpg is what I get by default. As you can see, the day start is accurate, but when I select the Computer Usage timeline, I get 99% locked time. If this view calculated the timeline only beginning from the day start, I think it would solve my issue.

Weekend2.jpg shows the change if I tag the locked time. In this case, day start is actually incorrect now (12:00AM)

Weekend3.jpg shows what happens if I just delete the locked time. This is what I've been doing to get the desired results (day start and usage timeline correct)
davemayo2000 attached the following image(s):
weekend1.jpg (205kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
weekend2.jpg (209kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
weekend3.jpg (195kb) downloaded 8 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 9:46:22 PM(UTC)
admin

Pic 1 is the usual operation. Basically it tracks everything while it is running.

Pic 2.
Any activity on any timeline triggers the day start and day end, except the red activities on Computer usage. If you have a tag which starts at midnight, then your day will start at midnight.
So how MT calculates this number is very simple, just first thing it finds on any timeline and the last one, while ignoring red stuff on Computer usage timeline.

I think you will need to delete the locked part, there is no other way to get rid of it.

I must admit though, that I still don't understand why it bothers you. What is the difference if it is there or not? Start and end times are the same.
davemayo2000  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:45:05 PM(UTC)
davemayo2000

The locked time presence isn't what bothers me. I just want the "Computer Usage" statistics in the bottom right to show Session lock and Active time proportions according to my work day instead of including times before Day start. In weekend1.jpg, the day duration is currently at only 3 minutes, but the statistics in the bottom right, which include the overnight time, show Session Lock - 99.4% - 9:00:15. If I want to see at a glance how much time I've been "away" from my machine today, I look at those statistics on the bottom right. Even after 8 hours at my machine with 100% active time, those statistics would still say about 53%/47% Session Lock to Active time because it's including the overnight block. If those statistics were calculated using Day Start (which is already figured correctly at 9:00AM in this case), this would work exactly as I want.

So, in the particular example of weekend1.jpg, I wish the bottom right pane reported Session Lock - 0% - 0:00:00, Active - 100% - 0:03:30, Total - 0:03:30 (similar to the view in weekend3.jpg).
admin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:08:36 PM(UTC)
admin

Got it.

We had a little discoussion. Currently if computer is in sleep or hibernate we still track this. We will change this so that sleep and hibernate will not be tracked by default. I added this to our todo list for the version after the next one since we are just finishing the next one.

If I understand you correctly this will not help in your case, because you lock it, so the machine still runs overnight? In your case we would have to have a setting like 'Ignore overnight inactivity'. This one is a bit more tricky, I added it to our todo list as well, we will see what we can do.
davemayo2000  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:58:14 PM(UTC)
davemayo2000

If no one else has this issue, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I thought it might be something easier such that Computer Usage stats could just be started from "Day Start". I can just easily just continue to delete the overnight lock.

Yes, my machine stays powered on overnight. I manually lock it when I leave, but it also locks automatically on the screen saver activation, so basically all "away" time becomes Session Lock time for me. I often run tests overnight or need to remote in for something (and haven't looked into wake-on-lan in this setup), so sleep or hibernate is rarely an option.

Thanks for all the support on this in any case. It's great to have responsive developers! I've converted another co-worker to ManicTime already.
darren.egistix  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:05:00 PM(UTC)
darren.egistix

Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum and I'm glad to see this discussion. I should probably add this to a feature request but since the topic/discussion is underway I will add my two cvents here.

I "wish" I could indicate when MT should track my time.I guess I am looking for a weekly calendar which allows me to define what my normal week looks like. This would help with workday start time vs computer usage start time.

For example, I start my day at 7am but I do not get to use my computer until 9:30am because I'm in meetings. Since I have not touched my computer until 9:30am when I do use the computer for the first time, I get an away time which includes the overnight time.

I want to ignore that overnight time and have MT start tracking from 7am onwards until the end of my day (say 6pm).

The screenshot was "borrowed" from another program but essential I would like to define when MT tracks my away time for each day and for each hour of the day.

In davemayo2000's case overnight time could be marked as "not to be tracked" so he could have the overnight time ignored.

There is a possible interaction with "shift day start by (hours)" stuffbut it could also help with defining multiple inconsistant shift work .

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks
Darren

Edited by user Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:11:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

darren.egistix attached the following image(s):
Capture.PNG (11kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
admin  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 10:14:57 AM(UTC)
admin

Let me see if I understand you correctly.

You set tracking time from 7am to 6pm.

When you come in at 9am, you get an away notification window for 7am to 9am.

I think its not a bad idea. We already had a few discussions to have a setting about showing away window in the morning. This would be even better.

Is there any other reason for setting the limit? There were a few people who suggested it through the years, but we never saw much value in limiting the tracking time, because there is always an option you will work outside of that time and not track it.

I like your suggestions. So now how do we implement it. Do we just add a setting where you can set a starting time for away window or do we implement the tracking limitations?

If somebody also misses the limitation, could you share some reasons for it?
darren.egistix  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2011 4:19:04 PM(UTC)
darren.egistix

Well, it seems to me that any active computer time should be tracked. That I completely agree with.
It's the idle or away time that could be scheduled.
However, the best option would be two schedules; one for active time and one for inactive time.
This gives the user total flexibility in tracking their time.

Just my two cents
Darren
admin  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2011 9:38:54 AM(UTC)
admin

Lets talk about Away schedule some more.

Lets say I set it to 9am-5pm.

I leave work at 4pm. The following morning I come in at 8:30. Do I get Away window for 4pm-5pm?

If I come in at 10am, do I get it for 4pm-5pm and 9am-10am?
darren.egistix  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:22:35 PM(UTC)
darren.egistix

Both answers seem right to me.

Thanks
Darren
admin  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:18:18 PM(UTC)
admin

In the new version you can hide the overnight inactivity. It's not a solution to everything in this thread, but I thought I'd mention it. If you hide overnight inactivity, Away view will also not be shown for the overnight time.

http://www.manictime.com...ide-overnight-inactivity

Version 2.2 is available as beta on the download page.
darren.egistix  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:29:32 PM(UTC)
darren.egistix

Thanks for the feature. It will be greatly appreciated. I looked at the release notes for v2.2 and had a question or two.

How do I indicate "overnight activity"? How does the program know to hide the inactive block? Are you doing some "magic" like determining if the inactive block spans days or it larger than a certain duration?

Again thanks for the feature.

admin  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:59:40 AM(UTC)
admin

The description of the feature is actually not entirely true. What it does is hides the starting inactivity of the day, and the ending.
For example lets say you set inactivity to 1 minute and have the client open.
If you have show overnight inactivity, then after a minute a green active part will turn into a red inactive. If you uncheck it, after a minute of inactivity neither green or red will show up. When you will move your mouse both green and red will show up, because the inactivity is not the last one of the day.
So the feature would more accurately be named as Hide inactivity if a day starts or ends with it. Something like that :)