Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jxt  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:51:01 AM(UTC)
jxt

Hi,
ManicTime is a great software! Thanks!

Please consider to add tagging in advanced search window in next versions. I can't add tags every day and if i not add tags for last 2 weeks it's a nightmare to go through every day, to perform 10 different searches, to add tags, to go to next day...
It would be awesome if you add an option to select activities in advanced search window, right click and then "add tags to selected..."

Thanks in advance! :)
jxt  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:12:36 AM(UTC)
jxt

Also it will be good to add a checkbox in advanced search like "search only untagged activities" and if it's checked - results will be filtered without already tagged activities.
If it cant be accomplished, i'm extending my previous suggestion:
when you click "add tags to selected..." it would be good to have option (checkbox) "fill only untagged gaps with selected tags" in the window with tags selection. So for example if i have two activities in resultset with durations 10 mins and 20 mins and I already tagged 5 mins in time during first activity, when i click "add tags to selected" with option "fill only untagged gaps..." the MT should add tags with duration of 25 mins around already tagged time to fill all 30 mins.
Is it makes sense?
admin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:31:52 AM(UTC)
admin

For now I'll just send a link and let me know what you think.

This is for version 2 (link is on download page)

http://www.manictime.com/Support/Help/v13/31/overview
jxt  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:26:28 PM(UTC)
jxt

AutoTagging is cool function. I use it but it's different from what i suggest.
For example, i want to tag all activities with Photoshop for specified time period with tag "learning pen tool", then i want to tag next week with another tag and so on... It's simplified example, i use tags and advanced search more complex and AutoTagging cant help me.
"Autotaggs are just rules, so they will work on any day in the past." - that is why i cant use auto tags for what i need.
It will be very good to add option for tagging in Advanced search window and to add the same dialog like in auto tagging when overlap will occur:
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:31:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

admin  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:31:35 PM(UTC)
admin

I'll put it on our todo list for the next version. We would do this a long time ago, the only thing that we're scared of is that there is no undo. You have to know what you are doing, otherwise you can rewrite your whole database.
jxt  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:42:09 PM(UTC)
jxt

Yeah, thanks a lot! :)
I know that it can rewrite the whole database, but we have backups (maybe it will be good to enable daily backup by default) and i think the users of MT are not "regular users" and they know what they do, so please give us the ability to overwrite the whole DB. :)
jxt  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:23:20 PM(UTC)
jxt

Originally Posted by: admin Go to Quoted Post
I'll put it on our todo list for the next version. We would do this a long time ago, the only thing that we're scared of is that there is no undo. You have to know what you are doing, otherwise you can rewrite your whole database.

Hi,
I don't want to be pushy, just want to remind you about that feature. I need it, please. :)
stevenp  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:39:09 AM(UTC)
stevenp

+1
davidem  
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:58:49 AM(UTC)
davidem

+1

I'm content with AutoTagging handling matches that are likely to recur, but I would use this for ad-hoc tagging of email threads, for instance, which likely continue over days or even weeks. To add an autotag for such a thing might be messy (since the "rule" would be hard to describe, in any general terms - they would not apply to another thread, probably), and hard to manage among all the other "broader" autotags (at least with the way that autotags are currently managed).

Would also help if you showed the tagged/untagged state of the matched items in the Advanced Search (with a color bar, a la the intra-day search), and allow me to copy that tag for later application. If I search on something, and matching items from the past have some tag, then it gives me a possible pre-existing tag to apply to the current template item which prompted my search.
admin  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:27:24 AM(UTC)
admin

We will work on autotags in the near future and I'd like to get as much information as I can about what we can do to make it better.

Could you give me an example of the email threads you mentioned?
jxt  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2012 12:51:21 AM(UTC)
jxt

Please just add option for regular tagging in advanced search and we will be happy. I'm sure it will not cost you much time. Auto tags are great but they are different case. Please don't try to use auto-tags for everything! Give us the option to choose what fits best our needs.
I'm looking forward to see that option in the next version. Thanks in advance!

Edited by user Friday, January 27, 2012 12:52:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

davidem  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:04:56 PM(UTC)
davidem

an example of a multi-day email thread would be something like:

"RE: Fenics PNL Wrong (DO NOT EDIT THIS:257337)"

the tag in parentheses indicates a production issue, and the number is its id. The subject line in the beginning may or may not change over time, but the "issue" is still tied together by the id.

These sometimes take multiple days to resolve, and at the end of a week or more, I'd like to tag the whole conversation with something like:

Tag: Production Support, Fenics, Reporting
Notes: issue#257337, wrong PnL

I might also tag other activity (db queries, instant messages, etc) with the same tag/notes combination.

It's uncommon that this exact combination of notes will come up again, so a persistent AutoTag would not be appropriate: it would be too specific, and doesn't do notes, anyway
admin  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:00:49 PM(UTC)
admin

Part of v2.2. There is a beta on the site.

http://www.manictime.com...gging-in-advanced-search
jxt  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:05:26 PM(UTC)
jxt

Thank you very much! :-)